• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ava the Pionus update! *with pictures*

PionusAva

Moving in
Hello all!

I just wanted to check in with an update on how Ava is doing, for anyone that is interested! :D I wouldn't say we had a rough start, but there was some issues in the begining. She was very scared of me and any noice in the appartement, as well as the wild birds outside the windows. This led me to re-do my entire appartement to fit her needs (the things we do for love, right?) and I saw an imidiate improvement! She stopped the scared/angry screeching, and was comfortable enough to start exploring me and her new home.

She is super affectionate! Yesterday she sat on my shoulder for three hours, preening while I was writing. She loves getting headscratches, and when I forget to give her some, she. will. rubb. her. tiny. head. on. my. cheek! I feel like the luckiest person on earth!

She was (still is) a picky eater and would only eat pellets and apples, no other fresh fruit and REALLY not any vegetables. However, she is very interested in the food I'm eating. I survive on junkfood alone, but has become a sallad person just for her. Now she loves veggies!

She is my first bird and I spend alot of time researching. It can be kinda frustrating how much contradictory information is out there (e.g. Asparagus is safe, no - it's deadly) but I try to check for sources (any recomnendations for reliable sources on what is safe vs. not?).

She does not like music or batheing, which is surprising to me. But we are working on that!

Hope everyone and their Pi's are safe and happy in these times!

Cheers // Isabelle

20200419_101811 (002).jpg 20200517_113647 (002).jpg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great to hear how you're doing! Sounds like Ava is improving both her and your diet :laughing2: There are so many vegetables that are safe that I tend to steer clear of any that do have contradictory information. There are plenty of options without them.

Ah yes, the response if you do not give the headscratches that a pionus feels is their right - hope you weren't planning on doing anything with your day! Leia insists on having a nightly scritching session and gets very annoyed if I try to read while giving scratches. She wants all of my attention focused on her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's beautiful!

SwedeBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Such a cut little Maxi girl :heart: Now you´re succumbed to give her scritches for life :D
c

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
She looks like a very happy and big girl. How much does she weigh. You'll have a loyal friend for the rest of her life.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well she's a bit light then but Nerd weighed 217 and was quite happy and was with me 31 years. Some are just skinny as long as everything is good with her.