• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Automatic feeders for birds?

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
Hi everyone! I was navigating the internet the other day and came across these automatic/digital pet feeders that you can control through your phone, even when you’re away. As I live in shared custody and am away half the time, I was curious if this would be a viable option for feeding my birds while I’m away. Is there a specific model that would work, or a similar design specifically for birds? Or is it just a stupid idea that will cause a lot of problems in the long run?

——————————————
:budgie2: Coming soon!

donutweall

Walking the driveway
I've never heard of one, but I grew up in a similar family situation, and had cockatiels. I took them with me as I switched between houses. They got quite used to the traveling... And my current flock (of budgies) also comes with me in some of my travels. So if your other parent is ok with it, that might be a possibility.

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
I've never heard of one, but I grew up in a similar family situation, and had cockatiels. I took them with me as I switched between houses. They got quite used to the traveling... And my current flock (of budgies) also comes with me in some of my travels. So if your other parent is ok with it, that might be a possibility.
Thanks, this helps a lot! I’ll discuss with my parents :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't think they have one available for parrots in that fashion. I would be really worried about them getting caught in the moving parts or something of one meant for dogs or cats - birds are so accident prone!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My only experience of auto feeders was when i was keeping fish times could be programmed,triggered using your phone,the amount fed could be adjusted.
It was useless often got clogged up with pellets and flake and often dumped days worth of food into the tank in one go.
This was a pretty high end feeder and i ofloaded it after 3 months.

bug_inarug

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juniper
I don't think they have one available for parrots in that fashion. I would be really worried about them getting caught in the moving parts or something of one meant for dogs or cats - birds are so accident prone!
Yeah, that’s what I was worried about

Jogging around the block
For the reasons stated above I probably would 't use that type of feeder. If your bird eats pellets you could try a small poultry feeder though, you fill it up with pellets and as the food in the tray is eaten more moves in with gravity. I use that style of feeder for my aviary and I only have to refill it once a week. The poultry design won't work with seed though, the husks pile up and block the fresh seed.