• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Autism- A deadly disaster almost happened last nite!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I agree, just like with our feathery friends, negative reinforcement is not effective. A child who is acting out (and even most adults) are probably suffering from something externally or internally. Children aren't born telling people to kill themselves. They learn it from others, and acting out aggressively usually comes from fear and neglect. Obviously the kid needs to understand what he did was not acceptable, but trying to dole out harsh punishment, especially for a child to be put in our horrible prison system? That's not effective for the desired outcome, which is positive change into becoming a better person. Our prisons in the US fail at that task completely and usually make people worse, giving them PTSD and the burden of a criminal record when trying to find a job and turn their life around.

People, especially children don't usually go through intense fear and pain then become more healed and gentler people.
I agree with you in all aspects of it....there's some underlying issues with the bully. But why wait till now to address it after the kid had numerous run ins with the law already. Made no sense to me.
But all in all, I have no control over those decisions or how they arrive at them. I'm just helping this family out that we've known since their child with autism was born. We're like his second family.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I agree with you in all aspects of it....there's some underlying issues with the bully. But why wait till now to address it after the kid had numerous run ins with the law already. Made no sense to me.
But all in all, I have no control over those decisions or how they arrive at them. I'm just helping this family out that we've known since their child with autism was born. We're like his second family.
Sadly we have a system that usually neglects to give therapy or healthcare and try to address the real causes, they go for punishment first nowadays. Call the cops, fill out paperwork, get lectured by various authorities, make no changes to the kid’s life other than now feeling like he’s a bad kid that has problems. Usually they're just going to keep acting out, keep being traumatized by cops, and escalating. A cycle that ends with many victims hurt and a guy rotting in jail most of his life.

But yeah, we’re not able to be in charge of that, have to focus on the young man who was bullied and try to help him feel appreciated and loved.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Great for you and your family to be there for them!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Sadly we have a system that usually neglects to give therapy or healthcare and try to address the real causes, they go for punishment first nowadays. Call the cops, fill out paperwork, get lectured by various authorities, make no changes to the kid’s life other than now feeling like he’s a bad kid that has problems. Usually they're just going to keep acting out, keep being traumatized by cops, and escalating. A cycle that ends with many victims hurt and a guy rotting in jail most of his life.

But yeah, we’re not able to be in charge of that, have to focus on the young man who was bullied and try to help him feel appreciated and loved.
Your spot on about that. We have a system that just sweeps things under the rug. Sad.
The bully is apparently home now. And was told by our friends of the autistic child that the school may expel the bully.... Now somebody explain to me what good that really does? I thought all schools are equipped to deal with both sides of the issues. Guess I'm wrong.
Seems the school counselor or who ever it is that deals with it wants the lazy way out and not deal with it. That's not helping the bully at all.
There just passing the buck here. That's dang sad.