• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Autism- A deadly disaster almost happened last nite!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
At 2:45 am in morning last nite, the phone rings.
my wife alerted me to phone and I thought who is calling at this hour? It was our friend down the road. She was histeric and crying, and said she had to drop two of the kids off, 13 +15 , to stay at our house until they pick them up, it's an emergency.
So told wife get up, Leah is dropping kids off, it's an emergency. They be here in a couple minutes,
neither of us new what was going on yet.
Her husband was enroute with their 14 year old son, that is autistic.
So....what happened???!
Their son, whom is a good kid, and smart in his own way, tried to kill himself. Unhooked the gas line to has wall heater, bent hose down, and turned has on full, then laid down next to it.
Her husband woke up to the smell of gas and woke up rest of family and headed out side as she called 911, and he grabbed his son and dragged him out side. He wasn't breathing. They did mouth to mouth and revived him.
But took him to hospital for observation..
later this evening that sat down with us an explained that kids at school bullied him and told him he wouldn't amount to anything and should just go home and kill himself, that there's no autism in heaven. Good lord!! You don't tell a kid that!! Geez!
I hoped the cops investigate and have a serious talk with school, and person(s) that said that as well as their parents.
He's a great kid, loves my parrots and spends a Good hour talking with grey grey, and grey grey always goes to him.
It just so sad...this incident could have ended very badly for whole family.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
That is so sad. I know very well that kids are brutal. I also experienced severe bullying which led to selfharm and suicide attempts starting at age 11. Sometimes certain kids get a kick out of making someone feel like they should hurt themselves.

I really hope things get better for this kid, it's not right for him to be made to feel so worthless. And I'm glad the rest of the family is okay too.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
OMG I am so sorry to hear this Michael. I am honestly doing the ugly cry .....my son is Autistic and I removed him from mainstream school for this very reason. Oh my lord to think this crap is still happening is heartbreaking! Why are people so darn horrid to other people????

Please give the family my well wishes and a massive hug from me. Thank you so much for being there for them in their time of need.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
OMG I am so sorry to hear this Michael. I am honestly doing the ugly cry .....my son is Autistic and I removed him from mainstream school for this very reason. Oh my lord to think this crap is still happening is heartbreaking! Why are people so darn horrid to other people????

Please give the family my well wishes and a massive hug from me. Thank you so much for being there for them in their time of need.
My dad pulled me out of public school for pretty much the same thing, I had a huge breakdown and wouldn't stop trying to hurt myself. I think if he didn't do that, I wouldn't be here today.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Terribly sad. I'm glad their son was revived and happy you could help them in their crisis. The school needs to address this with the full body of kids that attend and help them understand autism and how wrong it is to bully.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh my gosh, how horrible for this entire family. I cannot imagine waking up to this. Bless you and your wife for being so sweet to help out in the middle of the night. You went over and above and that is wonderful. I hope the boy will realize that he is so worthy, and that he is loved. :sadhug2:

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
That poor boy, kids are so cruel to people just for being different... Bullying can really be deadly when society reinforces the same shaming and devaluing people for how they were born. I hope he's not hurt and that he gets lots of reminders that people love him and that the world is better with lots of diversity in it.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
So, so sad. Tell him, if you get a chance, that grey grey is a better judge of a good person than any human, and he's already been bird approved. Maybe he can understand that it's a high honor from a prey animal.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I hope things get better for them:(:sadhug2:Sending good thoughts their way.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

It is sad and heartbreaking...I'm still speechless and shook to the core about this. That poor boy is so close to our family we treat him like our own. I always help repair his computer and explain new programs. He's quite artistic.
I don't even know what to say right now....still stunned.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That is so sad. I know very well that kids are brutal. I also experienced severe bullying which led to selfharm and suicide attempts starting at age 11. Sometimes certain kids get a kick out of making someone feel like they should hurt themselves.

I really hope things get better for this kid, it's not right for him to be made to feel so worthless. And I'm glad the rest of the family is okay too.
So true... They are not worthless, they all have beautiful talent inside. We have another friend across town that has an autistic child, or adult I should say. He turned 30. Big guy, and talented his own way. But no and then has severe violent tendencies. He pushed his mom so hard through a picture window she landed on the front lawn outside. That was past summer.
Deep down he's a good kid, and loves coming here to see us.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How absolutely awful. His poor, poor family.
I lost my sister to suicide and deal with ideation myself, so I know how devastating it is to face; thank god they found him and were able to revive him.
Bullies are such scumbags, and I hope the kids responsible have retribution rain down upon them.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I know someone that has a son with autism. As a little fella he was always bullied, in and out of school. He was fascinated by firetrucks and told his mom he wanted to be a fireman when he got big. I wish those bullies could see him now. You guessed it, he is working at the fire department, he is their official mascot. I often wonder, how would a bully like to be bullied?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My niece has Autism, she goes to public school as they thought in her "Autism" school she'd advanced enough. She's excelling so far but I'm going to text this yo my sister. Poor kid, please give him a "Rainy" :gbh: from Buddy & I.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well update ...the child with autism will be going thru extensive counseling. But he can't be left alone. So he's to come here after school till his parents get home from work to pick him up. Just a couple hours. We're like another parent to him.
It is sad, but the bullying really hit him hard. The bully was pulled out of class today and taken by police for questioning. I don't what they plan on doing to the bully.
But told the bully is a bit scared now. Parents of autistic child are not pressing charges, but have insisted, and was also agreed on by school counselor, and police that they should lock him up and give him the scared straight treatment. Send him in with general population of inmates for a couple days to scare him straight. It's actually being considered. Lol....I'd like to be a fly on the wall when that happens! He won't bully again after that.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly do not agree with the locking up of the child who did the bullying but that is not my choice to make. I do think that child needs serious counselling and other mental health services to intervene in and completely change his train of thought and actions........there is always a reason kids are bullying others and to get to the bottom of this now will save many others from being a victim of this child's future nastiness. Sending him to lock up is likely to cause more issues that will add to this childs anger, poor choices and inappropriate behavior towards others in his community. There certainly needs to be some punishment but what is being proposed is too much for any child I honestly believe and feel. I really think that kids who are punished through fear or physical pain only learn to be better at what they do and do not actually learn to change who they are being- negative punishments only take you so far.

I am very very glad to hear this young man will be ok and will have professional support, other positive adult interactions (you and your wife) to fill his time and also the company of animals- nothing better than being around animals when you have been so hurt by people, it is very soothing to be able to feel at ease and be yourself without judgement. All my best wishes and love to the young man and his family :hug8: I am so glad he has got the chance to find out just how important and special he is and how much he is needed and loved.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I honestly do not agree with the locking up of the child who did the bullying but that is not my choice to make. I do think that child needs serious counselling and other mental health services to intervene in and completely change his train of thought and actions........there is always a reason kids are bullying others and to get to the bottom of this now will save many others from being a victim of this child's future nastiness. Sending him to lock up is likely to cause more issues that will add to this childs anger, poor choices and inappropriate behavior towards others in his community. There certainly needs to be some punishment but what is being proposed is too much for any child I honestly believe and feel. I really think that kids who are punished through fear or physical pain only learn to be better at what they do and do not actually learn to change who they are being- negative punishments only take you so far.
I agree, just like with our feathery friends, negative reinforcement is not effective. A child who is acting out (and even most adults) are probably suffering from something externally or internally. Children aren't born telling people to kill themselves. They learn it from others, and acting out aggressively usually comes from fear and neglect. Obviously the kid needs to understand what he did was not acceptable, but trying to dole out harsh punishment, especially for a child to be put in our horrible prison system? That's not effective for the desired outcome, which is positive change into becoming a better person. Our prisons in the US fail at that task completely and usually make people worse, giving them PTSD and the burden of a criminal record when trying to find a job and turn their life around.

People, especially children don't usually go through intense fear and pain then become more healed and gentler people.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I am very very glad to hear this young man will be ok and will have professional support, other positive adult interactions (you and your wife) to fill his time and also the company of animals- nothing better than being around animals when you have been so hurt by people, it is very soothing to be able to feel at ease and be yourself without judgement. All my best wishes and love to the young man and his family :hug8: I am so glad he has got the chance to find out just how important and special he is and how much he is needed and loved.
I'll be honest ...I don't agree with locking them up either.... That said, apparently the Bully has quite a history of run ins with the law at only 14.
I think they should take a hard look at the parents behind the bully, but that's my opinion. The bully has driven off with parents car before, no license, has broken in homes, caught shop lifting several times. And because of age he gets a slap on the wrist.
Our friends did not press any charges, so I don't know who's final decision it was to give the bully a taste of jail, maybe scare him a little. It's only for a couple days. But the bully has been ordered to under go counseling as well. which is good, Because I'm my opinion, bullys bully for a reason....