• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Australian heat questions

joseppi

Moving in
Real Name
Joe Fewtrell
i am currently in the UK but will be moving to Australia were it can really hot in the summer what advise do you give for heating or temperature in the house.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most houses here in Australia have air conditioning of one sort or another.
Nearly everyone I know has heating and cooling of some sort in their home.

Depending on where you will be moving to you will depend on what type of cooling will be available.

I hope you have a good move and find Australia unbeatable:)

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hello Joe, and welcome to Australia (when you get here :) ) Which part of our fair nation will you be calling home? Australia is a BIG country and temperatures vary enormously. And location is not necessarily a guarantee either, for instance here in south-east Queensland our summers are fairly warm but it’s pretty consistent from one day to the next, whereas cities like Sydney and Melbourne can easily be 20 Celsius one day and 40 the next! Then you have Tasmania, Western Australia, Far North Queensland and the Northern Territory where things are completely different again. Most homes here are built to maximise air flow in hot weather, and many more modern homes have air conditioning.

Let us know which bit of the country you’re coming to and we’ll do my best to prepare you! And don’t forget your crocodile repellent! (Jokes jokes!)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Joe :fairy2:

A couple of my pals from the UK made the move and went to Australia. They settled well and have Air Con.

And don’t forget your crocodile repellent! (Jokes jokes!)
:coffeescreen:

joseppi

Moving in
Real Name
Joe Fewtrell
Let us know which bit of the country you’re coming to
i will be moving to Brisbane around 20 minutes away from the city.

ps im planning to get a gcc

Last edited:

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Oh well in that case, welcome to God’s Own Country, we will be neighbours :) Brisbane is like a big overgrown country town, the locals are friendly, the food is great, and you’re never far away from beautiful natural surroundings and attractions. Summers here are long and hot, but you can usually rely on the temperature being pretty consistent rather than having to keep your winter woollies on standby just in case! We get spectacular summer thunderstorms pretty regularly so you’ll have to watch out for those. We are now in the depths of “winter” so daytime max hovers around 20C but it can drop to single digits overnight then all us Brisbanites (aka Brizzos) freeze to death.

As far as bird breeders are concerned, if you’re after a green cheek there’s an outfit here called Queenslander Aviaries who seem fairly respectable, though I’ve not dealt with them myself. And there’s a wonderful bird vet I can highly recommend too. Only problem is our bird vets don’t open on weekends and in my experience that’s ALWAYS when one of my guys has a crisis!

Any more info you’d like please feel free to give me a yell :)