• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2022 Mayor of the Avenue... Icey

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Icey is August's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have Frankie, a blue and gold macaw, who is approximately 13 years old and Dolly, an umbrella cockatoo, who is 6 years old.

2. What got you interested in birds?

My mother always had budgies and canaries when we were growing up. My wee budgie used to fly to me and would just sit on my shoulder for hours at a time.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

They have brought enrichment into my life. I wake up in the mornings and can't wait to see them and start our day.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Anything that used to be mine is no longer mine lol.
I have learned to be more patient and to tolerate lots of mess and noise.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

That would be seeing Frankie for the first time. He was a surprise waiting for me one day when I finished work.
He was so gorgeous and so big. I was terrified of him.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Dolly has the main living room and Frankie stays in the kitchen.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I have made sure my home is bird friendly and have play stands set up in both rooms as well as huts and play houses for them to play in.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

I follow some people who teach free flight with their macaws. It is mesmerising watching them.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

I would love an outside aviary so that they can feel secure outside and get lots of fresh air.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I have always wanted another moluccan cockatoo since having to rehome my last one before moving to the UK.
I love their temperament and good nature.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

Since moving last month we are still adjusting to a new routine, but birds both wake up around 8. We have breakfast, usually scrabled eggs with a bit fruit or muesli cereal. Dolly comes out for about an hour for morning snuggles then goes off to play until lunchtime. Frankie likes to do his own thing, usually he can be found in his hut with his toys playing. Lunchtime I make fresh chop with lots of vegetables and quinoa or rice.
We have song and dance time in the afternnon. That's when Dolly practices her dance moves and Frankie bops and sings with the music.
Sometimes, weather depending, they come outside when hubby gets home so he can keep an eye on one.
After that they get their treats and dinner. Dolly loves her fruit pellets but she is starting to eat Harrisons too. She gets a bit seed still but I am working on getting her off her all seed diet her previous owners had her on.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They are hard work. You are on call 24/7. You don't just have them, put them in a cage, and that's it. You need to stimulate them, provide lots of entertainment, have time to just be with them one on one, be vigilant towards their health. If you notice something not right, get them to the vet.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I would have changed Frankie's diet earlier. I would have spent more one on one time with him, although he has always been "my velcro bird" I sometimes think I could have done more. I wish I hadn't had his wings clipped years ago, but not knowing any better at the time, we were advised to do it by the vet. He hasn't been clipped since and never will again as long as I have him.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I love to shop. I shop for everyone but myself.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I am always looking for ways to enrich my bird's lives, whether it be with food, toys, or training.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:starshower1:Congratulations :starshower1:

I really enjoyed reading your answers :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:starshower1: :congrats5: :starshower1:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! I had no idea you had a macaw & a cockatoo, let alone periodically think about a second cockatoo.
:scared5:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Congratulations! I had no idea you had a macaw & a cockatoo, let alone periodically think about a second cockatoo.
:scared5:
Lol and I thought I posted about them too much.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
From one mayor to another
:congrats3:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran