• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2018 Mayor of the Avenue... metalstitcher (Rhiana)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that metalsticher is August's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have 2 lovebirds. One Peachface Dutch-Blue Mutation and One Fischer's. Gracie and Bo are my littles :)

2. What got you interested in birds?

I was looking for a companion that would be elderly friendly as well as engaging with me me as well. So the search was on and after a year and a half of research I started my little flock. I was a care taker for many years helping my husband with his grandmother as she started having more age related issues. Both of my birds loved spending time with grandma and watching the church channel with her.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Great companionship.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

They keep you on your toes all the time and there is never dull moment.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Gracie was about a year and a half old and we bought treat sticks for both birds. Gracie ate about half of her stick in one sitting. She was so fat she and fluffed all you could see was her toe nails wrapped around the bar if her swing. She couldn't even chirp she had eaten that much. It took her two days to recover from over eating. The next time we put a treat stick in her cage we watched her to see what she was going to do. She stopped half way through a bite stepped back with the look on her face "I remember what happened the last time I had one of these." Since then she paces herself when she gets them lol.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The living-room area for Bo and Gracie is in the kitchen/living room area.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We already had the space for them so it was a perfect fit.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Besides AA I make donations to bird rescues when I have the chance.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An outdoor aviary. I would love to have one for my fids and I know they would love it.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Queen of Bavaria or a Rupples they are both so amazing.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

When I get up for work in the evening the first thing I do is play with Bo for a little while before getting my coffee. Once I get into the kitchen/living-room area Gracie is all over me. When I get home from work I wait for them to let me know they are ready for their day and play with Bo before letting Gracie out. Once Gracie is out I start making dinner with her as my souse chief. The whole time while I am doing my chores around the house she is perched on my shoulder making sure I didn't miss anything. She knows when it's time for me to go to bed for the day and waits for me to put her in her cage till dad comes home. Once he gets home he lets her out and plays with Bo on his way to the back room. Gracie and dad usually share a bowl of chips together while she waits for me to get up for work.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

You have to work at gaining their trust on a level you never see with any other animal. Their emotional capacity is amazing and so unexpected but once you have their trust it is the most amazing thing.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I wouldn't change anything. They both are having amazing lives and lots of love, treats, and toys even if they think the new toys are evil for a year.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I'm a crafter loving to make things with my hands. I cross-stitch, knit and read when I have the chance. Unless some birdy has other ideas which she usually does. I also do amateur photography.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Everyone on the Avenue is absolutely amazing for their wealth of information and understanding of the odd things that happen with our birds. Always looking to help as much as possible no matter what the situation is. You don't find people like this very often these days and that is the one reason why I love this group.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats. I always love reading every ones interviews!! :congrats5:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations Metalstitcher! Loved reading all about you and your babies!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congratulations! I loved reading about your memory and Gracie and her treat stick.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! Gracie, Bo and you!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Congratulations Rhiana. You are the perfect bird mom.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5:
I loved hearing about Bo and Gracie!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations, great interview:) I really enjoyed reading all your answers, my favorite bit is the bit about Gracie and her treat stick :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.