• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2012 Feathered Estates Highlight ( Holiday )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I am very excited to announce August's 2012 Feathered Estates Highlight! This month we are showcasing Holiday's awesome multiple birds and bedroom setup! Holiday has successfully put together a fun space to keep her busy fids happy and healthy!
:starshower::laughing12: :giveme5:

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
I have 7 parrots: 2 large macaws (Blue & Gold, Red Fronted), 4 mini-macaws (2 Hahn's, 2 Illiger's), 1 Congo African Grey. I don't know that I "designed" my setup. It just sort of happened on a catch-as-catch-can basis. But, it works well enough for now.

Elvis's Cage (King's 64"x32"):

Zoe's Cage (new King's 40"x40"x22"*3 corner cage):

Patrick's Cage (HQ 40"x30"):

Lily's Cage (Avian Adventures 42"x30"):

Keene's Cage (King's 34"x26" playtop):

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
No. If anything, my setups work better for highly mobile and flighted birds.

3~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
These setups are primarily stationary. The cages and manzanita stands may be moved but usually are only moved for cleaning.

4~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
The Flyer came from Donna at Exotic Wood Dreams; the bottlebrush gym came from Windy City Parrot. I order toys/parts from My Safe Bird Store, Birdie Boutique, Things 4 Wings, Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys, CA Bird Nerds, and I occasionally order certain supplies and perches (boings/rope perches) from larger chains like Foster and Smith.

5~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
The large EWD Flyer is probably the favorite item. I don't know what Elvis would do without it.

6~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I used several foraging toys when I first began but don't purchase as many as I did. Except for Elvis and her can o' nuts (of which she never tires), my birds tend to figure them out and get bored with them quickly. I do sometimes hide treats in paper or cardboard for them.

7~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
The main difficulty was readying a suitable area for Elvis, my Blue and Gold macaw, to play--she needed space, but she also needed an area in which she could be a bird (i.e. not my living room). I eventually settled on the backdoor nook area off the kitchen, and I used the EWD flyer as the focal point.

8~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
The main thing I dislike is the lack of space and cramped feel in the main bird room right now, but at least most of my birds (except Keene) have cages that are not only acceptable but roomy. Larger cages take up more floor space, but they're worth it. If Lily and Patrick can ever share a cage (fingers crossed!), I may be able to solve both of those issues.

9~ What do you like most about your setup?
I like that I am able to provide separate areas for birds of different sizes to some degree. My Hahn's are completely separate, and the Illiger's usually have their out time in the main bird room, whereas the larger birds tend to flock together in Elvis's area (much to her chagrin).

10~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
Macaws are usually pretty adaptable, and Zoe is the only one who usually needs adjustment time. As I recall, she needed a week or two to get used to the bottlebrush gym. Keene is a Congo African Grey, so you'd think she would need time too, but except for the avian scale, Keene is afraid of absolutely nothing. She routinely goes places the macaws would fear to tread.

11~ Any future renovations planned?

As my budget allows, yes. I will need to replace cages (especially Keene's--she needs a larger one) and perches in cages on an as-needed basis, and I would like to get a a small flyer for the Hahn's someday. And, they need more new toys. That is for the future, though. Right now, I have a little recovering to do from my most recent adjustments related to upgrading Zoe's cage and adding Lily, my rescue Illiger's.

The main bird room setup is the cage area and has a central play area:

Nearby, there is a play area for the large macaws, which I will include with the main bird room for the purposes of this overview:

And, finally, there is the bedroom setup for the Hahn's macaws:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Awesome! Congrats Holiday! It all looks so awesome :) I didn't realize that Sonny and Max don't share a cage. Is that just because of the cage size, or a different reason?

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:dance4::dance4: Well deserved, congrats!! Awesome set ups! Lucky birdies!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fantastic set ups! Your Flock is so lucky.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Congratulations...those are lucky birdies!!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! Talk about a lucky flock!

Matt

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Great setup!!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:laughing12:Excellent set up for a wonderful flock! Congrats Holiday!:dance4:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, Everyone :hug8:

Awesome! Congrats Holiday! It all looks so awesome :) I didn't realize that Sonny and Max don't share a cage. Is that just because of the cage size, or a different reason?
Thank you :) Sonny and Max are basically cage free during the day; their cages are usually only used as feeding stations and sleeping areas. They have the option of sleeping in the same cage if they choose to do so, and they tend to do that in cool weather. They'll squeeze into the same happy hut and snuggle all night. In the summer, though, they tend to split up at night and each goes to his own cage. I have left it as it is for now, but, someday, I'd consider upgrading to a large cage with a sparate sleeping area for both of them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks, Everyone :hug8:

Thank you :) Sonny and Max are basically cage free during the day; their cages are usually only used as feeding stations and sleeping areas. They have the option of sleeping in the same cage if they choose to do so, and they tend to do that in cool weather. They'll squeeze into the same happy hut and snuggle all night. In the summer, though, they tend to split up at night and each goes to his own cage. I have left it as it is for now, but, someday, I'd consider upgrading to a large cage with a sparate sleeping area for both of them.
Oh okay that makes sense :) I just never really thought about it I guess! Thanks for sharing!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4:Nice!! The hahnsies have a really nice playground!! Love Elvis on the flyer!!:heart:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats...love the multiple areas!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nice set up! I love that flyer. The Hahnsie's play area is pretty much exactly what I'm working on for Olive. :)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
That is a really wonderful setup Holiday. I also like that the cages have some toys, but are not jammed to the gunnels with them so that your fids can get some exercise in them should you be out of the house for the day. Is there any one particular toy they prefer or is a case that the best ones are usually the simplest ones.:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is a really wonderful setup Holiday. I also like that the cages have some toys, but are not jammed to the gunnels with them so that your fids can get some exercise in them should you be out of the house for the day. Is there any one particular toy they prefer or is a case that the best ones are usually the simplest ones.:)
Thank you :) They usually have a couple of favorites, and the others are ignored and become "cage furniture." I don't mind having a couple toys in there that they ignore, because it adds color and interest, but I don't have the budget to fill their cage full of stuff that they don't like or use, and I don't like items that collect dust or droppings or that impede movement. I'm very conscientious about perch placement, and I watch them when I first set up a cage to see how they get around in there, and I'll add a perch in a spot where I think there needs to be one. There's no point in having a big cage if they can't get around in there easily. So, they usually have about three or four toys apiece that I know they'll love and destroy (but not too quickly), and I usually stick with what works, so if I know they like it and it's destroyed in the correct time-frame, I'll re-order it--not always the exact same thing, but similar things. I only experiment when there's a big sale :D

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Wow, awesome set-up! I'm inspired to tackle my birdroom now (LOL!) I'm coveting your EWD flyer!! :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Looks awesome!!! I love those EWD gyms.. I have been dying for one for so long now!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I will join the wish I had a flyer group!:D Absolutely wonderful set-ups that always look immaculate. You can tell how you have thought everything out. Fabulous & congrats on the honor!:dance4::highfive::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.