• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2011 Feathered Estates Showcase ~ Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
:omg: I would give anything to have an aviary like that!!!! It reminds me of horse stables, walking down the center. That is really a magnificent set up!

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Jan your aviary is amazing!! :eek: :dance4: Such lucky fids!! :dance4:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I love it love it love it!:)Your fids are very lucky and loved.:heart: I want a place where my birds can fly and get sunshine.
Cochise is also smallish. Probably around the same size as Chester.
Titanis, my friend here has told me that some people she knows have a hard time breeding HH's for several reasons. But one reason is, they get a pair, they have success with it, then they run out and purchase another pair. As soon as the first pair hears the second pair, the male will often kill the female, or they just won't be successful breeding. HH's need extreme privacy while breeding.
Originally, when I bought Chester I was intending on finding him a mate to breed them but then after my long thought out plan in knowing they really need a lot of space and also knowing the male can kill their mate, I decided to not breed him never really looked for a mate for him. I would had to of build a proper aviary for them and not have them in my other existing aviary.

As it has been he has had a thing for Coral Bill Pionus girls anyway. Every female Coral Bill baby I produced he has always had a big interest in. He and Gabby love each other and sometimes I see her getting horny with him but I do not worry at all that they are going to mate or produce. Even if they did by chance I would just take the eggs away. Not sure that we need Coral Billed Hawk Heads in this world!! LOL!

Even though I highly consider Chester a pet, he is a bit stand-offish in many ways and is timid. He is a great bird though!!

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy

Coral Billed Hawk Heads in this world!! LOL!

:lol:

Jan, you have an amazing space there for the birds. What lucky FIDS!! :heart::heart::heart::heart: I love your Coral Bill girl!!! Bootiful!!:D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It is an amazing setup, Jan! A lot of love and effort must have gone into that. :laughing12:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
LOVE it.
So much room for flying! :laughing12:

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Thank you so much everyone for the nice comments! This early evening I was out there putting in place a couple of bird toy hangers off to the front side of the center feeding area and Chester kept flying back and forth from one Atom and then back to the other Atom. Not sure why he was doing that unless he just thinks it is neat to be able to fly about! He does well with getting around but Gabby, she flies a little too fast and then lands into the wire pretty firmly. I just worry because I sure don't want her hurting herself or her foot/ankle or whatever. I'm sure she will learn to fly better with a little more time doing it.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
That looks uh-mazing!

:dance5:

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I just wanted to give an update on my pets that I have in the large area I've talked about at the beginning of this topic ... well, seems everyone is doing okay, sort of. Chester developed a little so called game with his birdie cookie (which is a Veggie Bar from AO) and I call it a birdie cookie to him... so as I enter into his section he immediately flies from one Atom to the other Atom. Then I go to the Atom opposite of where he is at. Then I tell him to come and get his birdie cookie... so he flies over to the other Atom to get his treat! It is really cute as he gets all excited when he sees me getting out the bag to get one out which that is done before I enter into his section of the aviary.

Well, then Blu had been pretty much hanging out on the center area where there is a large feed dish and water and it sits on wire mesh. It seems that anytime I go into the aviary she is always hanging out on that area. Then one day I go out there to check on the birds and there she is looking at me when I suddenly notice how both her legs and plucked pretty naked like! I went :eek: So I was not sure why she suddenly started doing that. So I watched here and there for signs of her continueing it in which just about 3 to 4 days later I enter into see her and again I went :eek: because now she has plucked half way up her chest :huh: My only conclusion is that I am thinking with Chester flying back and forth that was making her nervous even though looking at her in there she did not appear to be nervous and I never saw Chester or Gabby even on the area where Blu hung out at. Blu was always a little shy, reserved and leary of the other birds even though for the most part they did not directly bother her... but she would run away or keep her distance from them.

So, I decided to move her back into the wire cage that she was in for a while before moving her into the large area to see if she stops the plucking. I also hung up her Jolly Ball in there too along with other toys I put in there which she does play with. Her feathers are completely gone off her whole front with the down feathers gone as well. I know she likes that cage she is in. I'll see how she does over all and if needed then I'll just bring her into the house which will end up being for the entire winter time. I told her she needs her feathers on her chest to stay warm for winter!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just wanted to give an update on my pets that I have in the large area I've talked about at the beginning of this topic ... well, seems everyone is doing okay, sort of. Chester developed a little so called game with his birdie cookie (which is a Veggie Bar from AO) and I call it a birdie cookie to him... so as I enter into his section he immediately flies from one Atom to the other Atom. Then I go to the Atom opposite of where he is at. Then I tell him to come and get his birdie cookie... so he flies over to the other Atom to get his treat! It is really cute as he gets all excited when he sees me getting out the bag to get one out which that is done before I enter into his section of the aviary.

Well, then Blu had been pretty much hanging out on the center area where there is a large feed dish and water and it sits on wire mesh. It seems that anytime I go into the aviary she is always hanging out on that area. Then one day I go out there to check on the birds and there she is looking at me when I suddenly notice how both her legs and plucked pretty naked like! I went :eek: So I was not sure why she suddenly started doing that. So I watched here and there for signs of her continueing it in which just about 3 to 4 days later I enter into see her and again I went :eek: because now she has plucked half way up her chest :huh: My only conclusion is that I am thinking with Chester flying back and forth that was making her nervous even though looking at her in there she did not appear to be nervous and I never saw Chester or Gabby even on the area where Blu hung out at. Blu was always a little shy, reserved and leary of the other birds even though for the most part they did not directly bother her... but she would run away or keep her distance from them.

So, I decided to move her back into the wire cage that she was in for a while before moving her into the large area to see if she stops the plucking. I also hung up her Jolly Ball in there too along with other toys I put in there which she does play with. Her feathers are completely gone off her whole front with the down feathers gone as well. I know she likes that cage she is in. I'll see how she does over all and if needed then I'll just bring her into the house which will end up being for the entire winter time. I told her she needs her feathers on her chest to stay warm for winter!
Oh no,Im so sorry to hear this. I hope the plucking stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.