• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2011 Feathered Estates Showcase ~ Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
It is my pleasure to highlight Jan's wonderful aviary as this months Feathered Estate's Showcase. Thank Jan, you did an awesome job! :laughing12: :starshower: :bounce7:

1~ What kind of birds do you have and how many birds did you design your setup for?
As far as pets go, I have 5 pets. Kuka an almost 19 year old B&G Macaw, Chester a Hawk Headed Parrot that is along 12 years old, Gabby a 3 year old Coral Billed Pionus Parrot, Blu a Blue Headed Pionus Parrot and she is 3 year old and Cockatiel named Tiely Bob which he was acquired through a friend who found him and the owner never claimed him.

Originally, my design of the aviary was not intended for my pet birds. I had bred Pionus and Amazons for many years and once bred Cockatiels as well. But now with my last 2009 breeding year and having sold off most all my breeding birds, I have now turn part of my Pionus Aviary for my pet birds. Due to my severe asthma / COPD condition my doctor keeps telling me to get rid of the birds... uh, doc, I simply can not do that!! So my alturnative is to house them in the aviary so I can still enjoy them! :)

2~ Is your setup for a handicapped bird?
While my set up is not having to accomdate and handicapped birds at this time, I feel that I could easily convert an area for such a bird, that would not be a problem to do!

3~ Are there any budgeting tips you discovered while doing your setup?
Oh gosh, I always have felt that I budgeted when I built my aviary. I can honestly say that I wish I would not have been so cheap as to cut corners even though the majority of it is well built.

4~ Is your setup changeable or stationary and do you add or make changes continually or do things stay primarily as is?
In this aviary, I have always screwed every thing together just for the pure fact of being able to change it and it has been a huge plus in doing it that way! If it was nailed in most places, it would have been much harder to change things. I have probably changed the inside of this area at least now for the fourth time!

5~ Where did you find your materials if you made it yourself or where did you purchase the setup and do you have favorite places to purchase safe toys and/or supplies that you find reliable?
Materials for building the aviary was just bought like at Home Depot. The toys that are now in there are ones that they had in the house and right now they have two of the Atoms... and we all know where Atoms come from! I've always been very alert about toy safety and like most all my breeders have toys on stainless steel skewers so no entanglement can occur. Any ropes or leather lacing I use I watch all the time and do not have long lengths, I keep things like that short and maintained.

6~ Do you have a favorite item that you bought for your setup?
Other than how I love the Atoms, I have also included a couple of my Jolly Balls in there as well. Blu has to have her Jolly Ball and she can now sleep in it all night long!

7~ If you made any DIY toys what is your bird(s) favorite and were there any failures?
My birds seem to love any toy I make them up... they are not picky.

8~ Did you incorporate into your setup any foraging toys and how did your bird(s) take to them and was age or inactivity a factor?
I have not incorporated much in the way of forging in there yet, I will be trying out a couple of things soon.

9~ What difficulties did you encounter, if any, and how did you remedy them?
So far no difficulties have occured and if there was to be any, it would probably be perhaps one of the birds bullying another bird by chasing and such, hopefully that does not happen. If it does, there might have to be some separation.

10~ What do you like least about your set up (if anything)?
Right now, I do not like the fact that the inside of the walls are not finished off, but next year come spring/summer I plan on working on that.

11~ What do you like most about your setup?
I like that it is more light coming in now since I cut open some window areas. Plus I hung up two lights. I like that it is large enough for them to be able to fly back and forth!

12~ Did your bird(s) take to the setup right away or did they approach it tentatively needing time to adjust and do you feel their age was a factor?
The 4 birds took to the set up just fine! They had once been in there but in the wire caging last year but then was in the house for last winter then moved back out into other wire caging for 2.5 months until now but they were not too timid about it, so I'd say that they are fine and happy with the set up! :)

13~ Any future renovations planned?
LOL! Anything is possible! I guess my next big renovation will to be to insulate and put up something to finish off the 3 walls and ceiling this soming summer of 2012. The one wall that faces the other part of the aviary will remain with wire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, this has been an on going project for sometime, As many of you know I use to breed Pionus but have sold most of my breeding stock. So in the one area I had torn out all the wire caging and have been fixing it up to keep them in it from here on in. As it is, I really needed to for my health which is my breathing difficulties is to clear pretty much all the birds out of the house. I am keeping Kuka my B&G in but she has been staying outside during the nice days and comes in late afternoon.

So for the time being, my 8 photos show how I have it - plus I show a video so it gives a little bit better prespective of how it is.

My videos I put on YouTube always turn out darker looking than they really are.

Their area is 36 feet long x 6 feet wide and 6 feet high. The other area on the other side is about as equally the same size where the breeder birds are at.

PetBirdAviary-Blu66k.jpg
This is Blu at one of the feeding areas.

PetBirdAviary-Blu-eats58k.jpg
Blu again, this is in the center.

PetBirdAviary-Chester-Gabby63k.jpg
Chester and Gabby, two peas in a pod!

PetBirdAviary-FeedingStation57k.jpg
One of two of this type of feeding area.

PetBirdAviary-North58k.jpg
Once of the Atoms and over view on the one side.

PetBirdAviary-OverView51k.jpg
Standing at the south end looking towards the north end.

PetBirdAviary-SouthSide52k.jpg
From the center looking south.

PetBirdAviary-TielyBob44k.jpg
Standing at the north end looking towards the south end.

Last edited by a moderator:

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
That's a great aviary! I would love to have an aviary where Iggy can just fly around and have fun.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
What a great looking flight!! :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks amazing! Your Fabies are so very lucky.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
That is awesome!!! Really, really nice. Lucky birds!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
It looks great. :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That is fantastic Jan, they sure do look like they are enjoying all the space, lucky birds!! :)

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Fantastic setup Jan! :laughing12:

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I love your aviary, it's enormous! :thumbsup:

BTW, is Chester about the size of a Pionus?
Thanks so much everyone! Titanis - actually he probably is hardly that much larger that Gabby, I know he weighs more than she does by perhaps 30-40 grams. I have not weighed either one in a while. I know she is a little stalkier than Chester.

Yah, for just 4 birds in there, it surely looks like an overkill for them but they are going to love it once they settle in well. They all get along pretty good. I really wanted to insulate the back wall and at the ends and then put whatever on the wall to finish it off but like always, it takes more money than I'd like so I want to wait until along between spring and summer to start on it. I just hope they do not get too chew happy on the studs and such places otherwise I have to protect certain areas with something. I'll add in a few more toys here and there to hopefully keep their little beaks happily chewing on that sort of stuff!

TITANIS

Thanks so much everyone! Titanis - actually he probably is hardly that much larger that Gabby, I know he weighs more than she does by perhaps 30-40 grams. I have not weighed either one in a while. I know she is a little stalkier than Chester.
That's very interesting. The HH around here seem big, I mean very close to BFA or CAG in size. Much larger than say a caique, TAG or even Pionus, unless I'm misjudging the apparent size.

I remember you had bred Pionus before and understand why the aviary is large. I personally don't believe there is an aviary that is too large, as long as it's within the owner's ability to maintain it. I personally love your setup and envy your location in CA where you have great weather almost year round. :cool10:

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
So are you speaking of HH's there that are pets or wild ones? I think Chester seems to be a tad bit on the small size but I am not entirely sure if he is or not.

While it is nice here somewhat compared to other parts of the U.S., we do get snow right here and our elevation is at 4,600 feet above sea level. Our temps often get in to the low 20's and high teens. Pionus do very well in the cold!! Well when they are acclamated to it, that is! They look their prettiest during the cold months! :laughing12:

TITANIS

So are you speaking of HH's there that are pets or wild ones? I think Chester seems to be a tad bit on the small size but I am not entirely sure if he is or not.

While it is nice here somewhat compared to other parts of the U.S., we do get snow right here and our elevation is at 4,600 feet above sea level. Our temps often get in to the low 20's and high teens. Pionus do very well in the cold!! Well when they are acclamated to it, that is! They look their prettiest during the cold months! :laughing12:
You're in the mountains, I didn't know you are in higher elevations. I also didn't know Pionus look better in colder weather. You learn something new every day. The HH I seen are all captive bred and young. There are some wild caught HH in my area but haven't seen any of those birds. From what I heard the people that own them have not been able to breed them. Apparently, HH aren't the easiest birds to breed. I know of only one breeder in Canada who has regular clutches and is still in the business. There was one other successful HH breeder but he closed shop a number of years ago.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I love it love it love it!:)Your fids are very lucky and loved.:heart: I want a place where my birds can fly and get sunshine.
Cochise is also smallish. Probably around the same size as Chester.
Titanis, my friend here has told me that some people she knows have a hard time breeding HH's for several reasons. But one reason is, they get a pair, they have success with it, then they run out and purchase another pair. As soon as the first pair hears the second pair, the male will often kill the female, or they just won't be successful breeding. HH's need extreme privacy while breeding.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
So much space to fly, very nice!

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name