• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

August 2010 Mayor of the Avenue → → →→ → Lisa (Izzy_Bird)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I'm pleased to announce Lisa (Izzy_Bird) as August's "Mayor of the Avenue"

She is truly an asset to our community, please join me in welcoming her
:)

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)

Izzy – CAG, 18 months old
Boogie – Severe Macaw, approximately 3 years old
Margarita – Senegal, 11 years old
Sonny – Fischer’s lovebird, 5 months old;
Petey – Quaker, age unknown. Petey is a foster bird who came to me from
animal control after he was found in a home with his deceased owner.
There was no family to take him.
Peanut – Quaker, age unknown. Peanut is also a foster bird who came from
animal control. He was found flying outside, and I have been unable to locate
his owners.

2. what got you interested in birds?

As a child, I always had budgies. I wanted a bigger bird, but my parents would not go for it. After I got married, I knew I would get a bigger bird as soon as I had the money. One night I went to Bingo with my mother-in-law and I won $200! I went the very next day to buy my “bigger” bird – a cockatiel named Spike LOL. Spike was a very loud little guy. My husband was not a big fan of him at all. So, Spike was it for many years. When he died, my husband said no more birds.
Years later I found myself single and approaching my 40th birthday. I decided for my birthday I would find a bird for myself now that I had nobody to say no. I spent many months researching. One day I waked into a parrot store and had a B&G macaw immediately yell “HELLO BEAUTIFUL” to me. I walked over and he stepped right up. I was amazed at how heavy he felt on my arm and how warm his feet felt. I remember looking into his eyes and immediately being hooked. If I had the money for him and a cage, I would have taken him home right then! In all reality, I knew that I would not be right for a large macaw as I was renting a townhouse at the time.
After continuing to research I decided on an African Grey. I found a lady who had two CAG babies, and went to meet her and them. They were two weeks old. I did not have first choice as another person had put their deposit down first, but had not yet chosen between the two. The bigger of the babies took one look at me and started hissing – even at two weeks old LOL. I picked up the smaller baby and she nuzzled right into my neck. I will never forget the feeling. I felt it right down to my toes, and it’s a feeling that I know only other bird lovers would understand. I continued to visit those babies three or four times a week for months until they were ready to go home. Every time I went the larger would hiss and try to bite me. The smaller one would get so excited when I walked in. I could do absolutely anything with that baby, and she had complete trust. Oh, how I was praying that the other person would not choose “my” baby. One day as they were beginning to wean, the lady told me that she was very upset that the other person had hardly been there to bond with the babies and was really not showing much interest. She had decided she was not going to let her choose EITHER baby. I was so excited. They babies were now in a cage. I ran right to that cage, and there was the little one making baby grey noises and flapping her wings so happy to see me. I took her out of the cage and she gave me a big kiss. I immediately named her Isabella or Izzy for short.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

The number one thing they have brought into my life is laughter! Every single day, many times a day somebirdie will make me laugh. I love it when I am in another room and I can hear all of THEM laughing lol. They also bring love, trust, happiness, worry, anxiety, and frustration at times. I would not change one single thing about being owned by birds!

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

I have learned what amazing creatures they are. Their intelligence never ceases to amaze me. Izzy’s understanding and response to my emotions is uncanny. Boogie’s mechanical engineering feats are second to none, Margarita’s sweet ways are so calming and Sonny my goofball clown is excellent entertainment. My life is so much better now that I share it with these babies.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Izzy was unfortunately clipped too young before I brought her home. She had a hard time learning to fly and land as her feathers grew in. I will never forget the first time she really figured it out and was doing circles around my living room screaming with delight “look at meeeeeee” It was pure excitement on her part, and I was a proud mama watching my baby girl fly for the first time!

6. Where is your birds main living area?

I have a large enclosed front porch. The birds spend the summer on the porch where they can enjoy the sun and breeze and watch the world go by. I love seeing the look on people’s faces as they walk by and Boogie yells “HEY! WHATTYADOIN???” When I am home and they are out of their cages, they have playstands in the living room and kitchen. All are flighted, but Izzy is the only one who chooses to follow me around the house.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

I think I have changed just about everything in my home lol. As I said, the front porch is now theirs. No more furniture out there, and instead of the wind chimes I used to have, there are now ropes and boings.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

[FONT=&quot]I am a volunteer with an animal rescue. I take foster birds as well as foster dogs.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

An outdoor aviary.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

A blue and gold macaw of course. Every time our local parrot store has a baby B&G I go in there and play with them and dream. It’s just not realistic right now, but someday soon…

11.Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I usually wake up to Boogie talking and Izzy yelling “good morning bum bum!!” (I have no idea where the “bum bum” came from LOL) As soon as I walk onto the porch the noise starts with the quakers yelling to get my attention, Sonny chattering to get my attention, Boogie letting out a few screams and Izzy yelling “Hi every birdie” until I say it too lol. Everybody gets fed and watered, the TV gets turned on to the toddler music station, and I go to work. When I get home, they are all let out of their cages. I get their dinner and try to get a few things done while Miss Isabella follows me around the house. After dinner it’s one on one time with each of them. At bedtime every body gets their kisses and a nutriberry to take to their sleepy perch. There are lots of “I love you’s” from Izzy, Boogie and Margarita as I’m turning off the lights and shutting windows. Izzy always yells “gimme a kiss” a few more times trying to get me to come back to her cage. It’s such a sweet time of day.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

They are amazing creatures. It sometimes makes me sad to see my babies in cages instead of being in the wild. But, I know this is the life they were born into, and I can do my very best to give them the best life possible. I have learned that there is so much more to birds then just giving them a cage, toys and food. They are sensitive to everything around them, and their emotions are very real.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

While I am so glad that I met Izzy when she was two weeks old and wouldn’t change that for the world, I will probably not go to a breeder again. There are just so many birds out there that need homes.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Besides the birds, I am involved in an animal rescue. We are very busy with rescuing dogs from the high kill shelters in the southern states and transporting them to New York where we find them homes. I also have three teenagers which keep me on my toes! I love to read and spend a LOT of time reading here at AA! I consider AA to be my number one source for bird information and education. I even stood in Target posting to AA on my phone while I was trying to decide which humidifier to buy for the birds. You all helped me make that decision! LOL

15. Anything else you would like to share?

At the time that Izzy came into my life I was having a bit of a personal struggle. My husband had taken his own life a few years earlier, my children were becoming older teens and starting to flap their wings and get ready to leave the nest, my first relationship after my husband’s death had just came to an end, and I was devastated. I could very easily stay in bed all day if I didn’t have to go to work. All of that changed the second I brought Izzy home. I had to get up every day. I had a baby bird to care for. I started to feel joy in every day again. I would go to bed and actually feel excitement about the next day and what it would bring. Then Boogie came, and life was even more fun (boy oh boy can he come out with some doozies! LOL). Each and every bird that has come into my life since then has made life even more fun and meaningful. I know that whatever bumps in the road I hit, I always have my babies waiting for me at home to put a smile on my face and in my heart.

A special thanks to all of you here at AA who listen to my bird and non bird stories and offer your advice, support and friendship. AA truly is a family that I am proud to be part of!
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...what a wonderful, fantastic interview..it brought tears to my eyes....

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Lisa your interview was absloutely beautiful and made me teary. You are such a special person to us and to all animals that come into your path. You are such an inspiration. Izzy especially is a special little angel that was sent to you to heal your heart. I do believe your husband had a hand in her coming into your life. :hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congratulation and great interview! :highfive:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
:dancing: Congrats, Lisa! Loved reading your interview. Thanks for all you contribute to AA. Much love to you and your flock.:hug8:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Congratulations!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations Lisa...I loved reading your interview....great story!:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
CONGRATULATIONS! Great interview! Loved it.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations, Lisa! Wonderful interview :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats to you Lisa! I totally enjoyed reading your interview and getting to know you a little more. :hug8::hug8:

Attachments

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow- what a great story! Very sweet and interesting!

Barb

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barb
:Congratwav: I loved reading about the bond instantly between you and Izzy, that was a very heart felt interview :heart:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I enjoyed the interview!

Matt

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
:thewave:CONGRATULATIONS, Lisa! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

What a wonderful interview, I very much enjoyed reading it and getting to know you and your flock a little better!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:yah: :congrats:

:Congratwav:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Agreed and well deserved! Congratuations!! :dancing:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Congratulations!!!! I truly enjoyed reading your interview :)

Status
Not open for further replies.