• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ATTN Horse People from North Dakota to NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I am trying to rescue a weanling foal. They are currently on a farm in North Dakota and I need to get the baby up to us in NH. I am writing to ask if there is anyone who would be willing to help me out. If I can arrange transport on donated time from anyone to get the foal up here then I can prevent the baby from going to auction in Canada where if sounds as though it will most likely be slaughtered. There are 8 or 9 foals total in need to loving homes. I can only afford to rescue one baby and properly take care of it where we live. So I would like to appeal to all you wonderful AA horse lovers who may have the resources (transportation) to help me get this baby to us. Please if you or anyone you know would be interested in helping us get together some kind of transport from North Dakota to New Hampshire I would be forever greatful. This would literally cut our expenses in half and allow this little one to be part of our family.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Hi Nicole-
I know of a horse transport company. Do you want me to give them your contact info? They can quote what it would cost to have the horse picked up and "shipped" to you. If not, I can be part of the chain in getting the horse to you. I've got a newer fourstar 2 horse slant.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Natalie, that would be wonderful! I currently do not have any contacts or know anyone personally to ask for help transporting. The people with the horses said they could arrange a very reasonably priced transport as they are getting a discount since they are shipping 8 foals. However If I can arrange something on my own it will cut the adoption fee in half and I can use that cash for additional supplies for the baby. So I am trying to see if we can arrange a voulenteer transport to save on costs. I know many of you on here have experience lining this type of thing up with other animals so any adivce would be appreciated as I have no idea what I am doing or where to start other than just putting the word out there that I would love to be able to do this.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ok...well, when we're transporting horses home that we bought from a sale (which is all too often, actually. We're up to 16 now :rolleyes:) we have a system. You want to make sure that if you don't have someone driving straight through with the horse that they have meet up points.

ND to NH is not a trip you want to make in a straight shot anyway, so you're going to want to make sure that you have a timed schedule. And you're going to want to find a stable somewhere and contact them and confirm that the horse can stay there overnight. Hauling a weanling can be very traumatic; the furthest we've ever hauled our weanlings has been to MN, which was approximately 1 hour, and it took the filly 2 days to recover from the trip, so just an FYI there.

Ok. So I would look at the mileage and estimate the time. Find stopping points. Find a stable where the horse can board for a single night. You're going to need to fax over paperwork for tests and I'm unsure of coggins at that young of an age, so contact the barn ahead of time to make sure that you can get all immunization records to them beforehand from the owner so that is taken care of. You're going to want to make sure that the baby is traveling WITH hay and or/grain supplements that can be passed from trailer to trailer. As a weanling, you're going to want to keep them loose in the trailer, so make sure its very thickly bedded with shavings, and that the foal has access to food. Make sure there is a bucket there for someone to fill so the foal can get water, as well.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
Nicole, I'm not sure of the route that is needed from ND, but if the weanling ends up coming through North Central Missouri, I would be happy to offer the use of our large foaling stall for the night.
Actually can you give me more info on the other foals in need of homes? I will talk to hubs and see if perhapse we might take one or two in as well.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Great thanks for the information....I am going to be speaking with the woman later on tonight or tomorrow afternoon. I will get more details on what they have planned for shipping. It may actually be better as it would not be alone in the transport. I will keep everyone posted. I hope this works out. If it is meant to be then it will be :).

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks Meridith! That would be great :) I will let you know what we decide. I am thinking after checking shipping prices (its been a while since I have dealt with horses) that the rate they are charging is more than reasonable but I would like details on what exactly is happening. I will pm you the womans email. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.