• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ATTN AUSSIES!! I need help! (Just a fun thing)

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
And really anyone else who lives places with species that are native, but also in the pet trade.

I was just watching a video of wild cockatoos, and was trying to explain to my partner that my brain has some weird disconnect when it comes to the birds I know and love being a native wild species somewhere.

It’s hard to explain - I was telling him that with most animals, I don’t have the same problem. Like reptiles. Seeing a video of, for example, a scrub python in the wild is just sort of like “Oh, yeah. That’s a wild scrub.” But seeing videos of lorikeets, cockatiels, cockatoos, budgies… my brain is just like “????what????” I don’t know why it’s so hard to wrap my head around.

Anyway - Can y’all post photos of wild birds that people have as pets? :D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Keeping wild birds is illegal but people can have birds that were bred in captivity.
Are you wanting photos of Aus birds that are often kept as pets that we see in the wild, or, just pics of native birds we know can be kept with or without a licence?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Keeping wild birds is illegal but people can have birds that were bred in captivity.
Are you wanting photos of Aus birds that are often kept as pets that we see in the wild, or, just pics of native birds we know can be kept with or without a licence?
Really just pics or videos of wild species that are kept as pets elsewhere. I don’t know why, but the idea of wild little Tteoks running around for example boggles my brain.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We do not get budgies or cockatiels in my local area but I will try to grab some snaps of galahs, SC2's, corellas, rosellas, red rumps, lorikeets and any other parrots I see. I often get crappy pics of them and decide not to share those lol.

We get red rumps and rosellas foraging through the grass in the yard each morning which is always beautiful to see but as the weather gets warmer they tend to have more food on offer and visit a little less. When our fruit tress are fruiting the lorikeets nearly take over the branches if they are not netted (bird safe nets!)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
We do not get budgies or cockatiels in my local area but I will try to grab some snaps of galahs, SC2's, corellas, rosellas, red rumps, lorikeets and any other parrots I see. I often get crappy pics of them and decide not to share those lol.

We get red rumps and rosellas foraging through the grass in the yard each morning which is always beautiful to see but as the weather gets warmer they tend to have more food on offer and visit a little less. When our fruit tress are fruiting the lorikeets nearly take over the branches if they are not netted (bird safe nets!)
I appreciate it! Is there anyone else I can tag for pics?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Don’t know if this is what you’re after, but these are some old photos I took a few houses ago.

C74F8C73-CD95-40AD-8D7B-C90298353C3B.jpeg 94B937C5-6F49-46CE-80B1-418E7D98BA40.jpeg F97353E3-5B95-4C16-BB1C-A2E23C0A4355.jpeg F9381024-AC0B-4B03-910B-86CEB6A0A9BE.jpeg 601640F3-599B-431D-B023-E17BB9654015.jpeg 83656A6F-D5BA-4FC8-A140-3F23A646CEBE.jpeg 911E3DDF-A81F-4306-99D0-FCC9F2C5E830.jpeg F975D91C-9798-4288-8708-279F7243C9A9.jpeg

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don’t know if this is what you’re after, but these are some old photos I took a few houses ago.

View attachment 413605
Love this lorikeet vs galah photo.

I’m a cockatoo person…and my five year old has a lorikeet.

that bird bites harder and meaner than any cockatoo I’ve ever seen! Unless you’re said five year old…then he is jelly in your hands and the kindest sweetest bird ever imaginable!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Rainbows are very bold for their size, which I believe is a lot of why they’re so prevalent here. Tiny bullies dressed like clowns. I used to get scaley breasted at that house as well, but only a few.

The galahs were my favourite; they’re such sweet birds and definitely the most polite of the regular visitors we had at that house (second only to the King parrots or rosellas). The sulphurs took a bit of training, but they were fine once they realised they were allowed to stay if they didn’t make ungodly noises outside my window at the crack of dawn.

A few more from that house

9F84E781-9A0D-40A7-AAB6-947611852081.jpeg
EF7AFAF2-113B-443A-A79F-9417F199DE3E.jpeg
5DD7D133-AC02-4853-94D3-0010658C69EA.jpeg
F13BB77B-6898-4CD8-BA31-BF76B64197C0.jpeg

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I should also add that I didn’t feed these guys regularly once I’d finally managed to get them to start coming by. I’d put seed or fruit / vegetables out for them maybe a few times every week or two. If there wasn’t anything there they’d usually forage around the trees and grass or eat passion fruit from the vine.

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
No pictures since I’m not from Australia but I know what you mean about it being odd to see wild parrots. I kind of wonder if it’s because they seem more like domesticated animals than some others (like reptiles you mentioned)? Especially if you’re used to handraised birds. And by seems like I just mean that’s how my brain tends to think of it, not that there aren’t some very wild pet parrots and some very tame reptiles. That probably makes no sense lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ooh I totally forgot about this thread :banghead: Sorry!!

I was out yesterday and saw quite a few flocks of galahs, SC2s, little corellas, rosellas, red rumps and some musk lorikeets.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ooh I totally forgot about this thread :banghead: Sorry!!

I was out yesterday and saw quite a few flocks of galahs, SC2s, little corellas, rosellas, red rumps and some musk lorikeets.
Ahhh it’s so crazy to me! Did you get any photos?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
No pictures since I’m not from Australia but I know what you mean about it being odd to see wild parrots. I kind of wonder if it’s because they seem more like domesticated animals than some others (like reptiles you mentioned)? Especially if you’re used to handraised birds. And by seems like I just mean that’s how my brain tends to think of it, not that there aren’t some very wild pet parrots and some very tame reptiles. That probably makes no sense lol
Totally makes sense! That’s probably it - another one I can’t wrap my head around is a wild hamster. How weird would that be to see?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ahhh it’s so crazy to me! Did you get any photos?
No sorry, I don’t think to do these things as it’s just normal to me seeing this stuff.

I will try to remember next time I leave home

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Because I saw this thread I took some real bad quality galah pics for you. My phone hates taking pics of wild birds cause it doesn't like zooming in. I could try taking the camera out later for you.
20220924_155146.jpg 20220924_155206.jpg 20220924_155218.jpg
20220924_155230.jpg 20220924_155244.jpg
Mostly just cockatoos (SC2s, corellas, galahs) and red rumps around me, sometimes you'll see some rosellas or the occasional king parrot (love seeing them, one of my favorites).

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
These are so freaking cool. I want very badly to visit Australia because y’all have just the coolest animals