• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attention To New Bird Owners - Semi Rant

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara, I agree wholeheartedly. I don't understand how any loving parents can put their child through such pain, even if they don't care about an animal's suffering. The one that got me recently was the poor kid who had an obviously very sick budgie and whose parent refused to even spend money to allow the bird a peaceful, quick death. It was heartbreaking. The kid was panicking and incredibly upset at seeing their beloved friend die slowly, and couldn't do a thing about it.

This is why I don't think a child is capable of taking full responsibility for a bird. A responsible teenager is more than capable of taking care of a bird's day-to-day needs, but all birds - from the smallest budgie to the biggest macaw - are exotics and require speciealised treatment. A parent has to be aware of that and plan accordingly. Perhaps that means that they do need to have a difficult conversation with their child about the cost of good vet care, and that it would be unfair to keep an animal if they cannot take care of its medical needs.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This is why I don't think a child is capable of taking full responsibility for a bird.
I had a gold fish in a bowl when I was about 6. I carried it outside to change the water as I did every week. Asked parents to carry back in - I think it was turning very cold and the bowl was wet, and I wanted to get it inside but couldn't carry it. They just raised their eyebrows at me, in other words my responsibility. No one brought it in and the fish froze. Very upsetting.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would never have forgiven my parents if they’d refused to let me take my birds to the vet. I can’t imagine how hard it is for these kids to have to still live with and look at their parents after such events. :(

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Perhaps that means that they do need to have a difficult conversation with their child about the cost of good vet care, and that it would be unfair to keep an animal if they cannot take care of its medical needs.
That is the only right/moral thing to do.
The heartache it brings is far less than that of the above mentioned cases when the minor knows what is the right thing to do, but parents won't or can't afford to do the right thing.
When I was really small I asked my mother if I can have a goldfish. She explained to me that we can't afford to take good care of one atm. She was half in tears, I can clearly remember the sadness in her voice. I daren't ask again.
I was overjoyed one day when we finally had the talk about taking care of fish.. And then we got two. They were my (supervised) responsibility.

They just raised their eyebrows at me, in other words my responsibility. No one brought it in and the fish froze. Very upsetting.
Oh God! :( I'm so sorry. This made me tear up.
No child should have to suffer something like this!

There should be a general rule explained to new birdowners:
RUSH TO THE ER FIRST, ASK QUESTIONS LATER.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The one that got me recently was the poor kid who had an obviously very sick budgie and whose parent refused to even spend money to allow the bird a peaceful, quick death. It was heartbreaking. The kid was panicking and incredibly upset at seeing their beloved friend die slowly, and couldn't do a thing about it.
I remember that. I suppose the outcome was (sort of?) happy in the end. That was the most horrible day I have had here. I was in and out of my school work at the time, but I was always there.

Perhaps that means that they do need to have a difficult conversation with their child about the cost of good vet care, and that it would be unfair to keep an animal if they cannot take care of its medical needs.
I think this is correct, but sometimes needs to be the other way around. The kids telling the parents about the responsibility they have... to understand that the child will be desperate to get to a vet and the last thing they want is to be held up by a parent that can't be bothered because they could get another animal the next day for a tenner.

This thread is reminder of some sad moments. I hope people viewing this in the future benefit from it.

Ali

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh God! :( I'm so sorry. This made me tear up.
No child should have to suffer something like this!
I agree. And they wonder why in the world I have depression.

This thread is reminder of some sad moments. I hope people viewing this in the future benefit from it.
Yes. Thanks to @Lady Jane for always pushing us to educate ourselves.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I´m sure this trauma must live with them for a long time.

(Sorry for the super negative post!)
It does. I had parents like this. I dare say they were even a step worse. I rarely asked for my own pet, Petrie was the exception, in addition to my grandfather surprising me with my first aquarium. Most of the time my father would just bring critters home with NO intention of providing them any care at all. They were an impulse and he gave all the responsibility to me. I started working at 14 to support the animals. My father was very abusive and lacked empathy. I am sure he somehow enjoyed how much distress it caused me. He used my love for all things living as a form of abuse. I went through a lot find My self confidence and what I do have is fragile at best.

To all the sane parents who read this, letting your child suffer is trauma. Please help their pet get medical care. PLEASE :sadhug2: