• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attention Ladies!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
I was just wondering if any of you ladies have the same problem that I have?
We all know our birds are hormonal right now! Does the aggression get worse when you have PMS? Stitch gets ugly with me.. From day one till the end. Then when its over he is fine. He always wants to be behind me. Screeches in my ear all of the time. He acts like he wants to love on me then bites at me. I have to really watch him close at that time of the month.
It is not nearly as bad as he was when I was pregnant though. I just wanted your opinions on it.

:confused::confused:

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
That's an interesting observation. I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
maybe its just that YOUR more irritable and he picks up on that! hahaha this is interesting. I know when i'm on mine i have FAR less patience.

drop

I don't notice a difference.

I don't know if it would be more a mirror of our own irritability, or a reaction to our hormones.

I have heard of instances where male horses are unapproachable if their owner is on "that week".

This may be of interest to you, I remembered reading it awhile back.
Results So Far

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
maybe its just that YOUR more irritable and he picks up on that!

I agree. Birds are VERY EMPATHETIC.

They will read your mood swings very quickly and easily.

I on the other hand, have no problems whatsoever when Im on my period. I school my emotions and feelings very well when handling my birds and when Im around birds in general.

If Im feeling irritable, I go eat something fatty with a banana and I'm back on track. And if my food cravings don't help my irritability I go running or spend a bit of time AWAY from my birds to avoid my mood swings and anything that they may perceive as threatening. But thats very rare. I recommend learning to school your emotions and feelings and try to be more on the lovable compassionate side. I think Im more needy and huggy lovie towards my birds when Im on that time of month than when Im not.:lol:

Cory

Real Name
Cory
It's funny that this was mentioned! I as wondering the same thing... :rolleyes:

I'm PRETTY sure about this but again it could be coincidence or something that's just in my mind but Femi by Black Headed Caique will become quite aggressive to me a couple of days before I get my period and she will attack me. I don't notice any mood changes with myself so maybe she just does or maybe it's something else she senses. I even asked my avian vet about it and he didn't give me too much information but he says that it's definitely possible that she is reacting to the "time of the month".

Very interesting stuff! :p

CrashSmAshley

Real Name
Ashley
UGH. Nitro is just starting sexual maturity...and most of the time I just wanna :shake:

Okay, maybe not do that...but right now she wants to do nothing but bite and yell and eat. So, typical female PMS, I guess :lol:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wait till you go through menopause! I not only drove my family nuts with the mood swings but the birds didn't know if they should be sweet and cuddly or preparing for a fight! I think they were exhausted just keeping up with my emotions. I have to agree, I think it's more that they are picking up on our own feelings/behaviors and acting accordingly.

Shyra
www.parrotasylum.com

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well looks like we can discuss anything here....yup menopause was a killer...I nearly drove myself let alone poor Dub and Sam over the edge..Sam was the only bird we had at the time ....lucky her:rofl:

Hope Riddle

Sprinting down the street
When I was pregnant, I couldn't handle stitch at all. He would fly accross the room just to attack me. I would go to the Dr. with all of these diffrent bruises on me. My Dr. never said anything, but he would look at me really funny. Stitch was definatly my husbands baby at that time. I heard somewhere while I was pregnant(I can't remember where) that a bird can smell hormones. That was what I kept telling myself over and over to keep me from crying b/c my baby didn't want me around him. LOL I am a very emotional person, and to ask me to "learn" to hide my emotions is like asking me not to breathe. I do hide a lot of them, but there is no way for me to be completley emotionless around him. It dosen't matter what time of the month it is. Thats just who I am. It don't matter what kind of mood I am in at that time of the month he will sometime get aggressive without warning. I was just wondering what all of your experiences were with this..

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I'm peri-menapausal and it's driving everyone nutso. Me, DH, my kids, my birds, and the dog. The only ones who seem unaffected by my mood swings are the cats, lol. I think that our birds are probably reacting to our moods and behavior, maybe seeing subtleties that we don't pick up on. They are very empathetic creatures. They may also be reacting to whatever scents or pheremones we are emitting. Probably all of the above, lol.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I haven't had that experience, but then again, the only issues I have are a bit of a short temper and a tendency to eat anything that doesn't run away first. The flock likes all the extra snacks I share with them, I think.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I have never noticed if they do or not... But my birds are the only ones who don't get on my nerves during that time. If I'm in a bad mood I just walk in the bird room and hear, "hi hi hi hi hi hi" from them all and it makes me happy. :)

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Mine doesn't. I have two females and a male and my cycle doesn't bother them but if I am not calm when I go to them it does. I am not all that emotional during my issues, mostly wracked with pain and teary and when I am sad they comfort me.

Status
Not open for further replies.