• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attention Cockatiel Psychologists!!

RVGirl42

Sitting on the front steps
Hi All,

Can Cockatiels have brain damage? Can trauma cause long-term damage? Are some Cockatiels just really laid back and non-active? This what I am trying to find the answer to regarding my bird.

Background: Miss Minnie is an all white Cockatiel with gray eyes that was found wandering a street in Chicago and taken to a rescue. Her feet are deformed (knarled) and the rescue vet (and my Avian vet) said it's most likely arthritis. She is on Meloxicam daily for pain. The vet records the rescue gave me had "trauma" in her diagnosis. She can't land well due to her feet so just walks a lot. I adopted her and she has obviously never had any positive human interaction. For the entire three years I have had her, her personality is oddly quiet and still. She had a Cockatiel friend who recently passed, but she was doing this way before that. She has a big cage, rope perches, tons of toys, treats, and the door of the cage is never closed. She can fly if she wants. I put on Cockatiel Companion on YouTube for her and she can look out the window. I wheel the cage with me when I go in the bedroom and it's placed very close to my desk when I work. I want her to feel safe. I love her dearly because she's so sweet and special. She has grown to trust me, which is very rewarding but she won't do anything like step up, etc. She doesn't scream - she squeaks (particularly when sirens go by).

Yet, what baffles me is that, with the exception of a couple times a day, she likes to just sit still. She puffs out her cheeks and grinds her beak, so I know she's happy but she's so still and quiet most of the time, I am wondering if that's just her personality or could it be brain damage, or a result of the trauma. I want to make sure she is as happy as she can be so I am trying to find out what could possibly be wrong (or right)? I am used to having very active Cockatiels and I've never had one like this so trying to figure it out. Thank you!

Attachments

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I firmly believe that any species can suffer from trauma & PTSD. Maybe, despite the pain killers, it hurts to move still. So, it could also be physical. Just wanted to put my 2¢ in about trauma. In people, it changes your brain & is visible on MRIs. Could be the same for birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s hard to know if she’s so mellow because of the trauma, or if it’s her personality. It can also be because she doesn’t really know how to play with toys. Showing her how might help. I have three female cockatiels at the moment, and two of them are very mellow. They will forage and play with their toys a bit, but mostly they like to sit and watch the world go by, especially one of them. Your little bird is so cute, sounds very sweet!

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
You mentioned possible arthritis, do the vets think she's an older bird? My boys are in their 20's and definitely like to take more breaks and naps between singing and destroying their toys.

RVGirl42

I firmly believe that any species can suffer from trauma & PTSD. Maybe, despite the pain killers, it hurts to move still. So, it could also be physical. Just wanted to put my 2¢ in about trauma. In people, it changes your brain & is visible on MRIs. Could be the same for birds.
That's very interesting. I didn't even consider that it could hurt to move. Yes, I believe the Avian vet who diagnosed her with trauma because it was a Chicago vet who works exclusively with a large Avian rescue downtown. I don't know what happened to her but thank you for your 2 cents. I will think about this pain aspect. I didn't find the Avian vet I found here in Milwaukee particularly helpful in this regard.

RVGirl42

You mentioned possible arthritis, do the vets think she's an older bird? My boys are in their 20's and definitely like to take more breaks and naps between singing and destroying their toys.
There was no mention of her age. I wish I knew! It is so hard to tell. She's has times she is active but she's so still so often, I don't know.

RVGirl42

It’s hard to know if she’s so mellow because of the trauma, or if it’s her personality. It can also be because she doesn’t really know how to play with toys. Showing her how might help. I have three female cockatiels at the moment, and two of them are very mellow. They will forage and play with their toys a bit, but mostly they like to sit and watch the world go by, especially one of them. Your little bird is so cute, sounds very sweet!
That actually helps me a lot - to hear that you have a very mellow bird. She is offered lots of toys - I spoil her rotten but she's not really interested in shredding, climbing, or anything else (what is that dried plant that is in a ball you can get? She has no interest. She has one thing she loves - I put a necklace in there with crystal beads. She loves to play with that - to put the crystal balls in her beak and to toss it around. She loves to eat - seriously loves to eat - so I indulge her with Avian treats, that I put on flat Avian shelves in the corners of the cage so she can rest her feet. Of course, she gets a a high-quality food. I give her filtered water, too. She seems to do the same as your mellow ones. I guess I'm just used to the past Tiels I had, who were so active all the time. I've never had such a mellow bird. I worry she's bored, or whatever but perhaps I am putting too much human worry on it?? I guess she's more like a Hippy Bird - just mellow and watching the world happily go by.

RVGirl42

Hi All,

Can Cockatiels have brain damage? Can trauma cause long-term damage? Are some Cockatiels just really laid back and non-active? This what I am trying to find the answer to regarding my bird.

Background: Miss Minnie is an all white Cockatiel with gray eyes that was found wandering a street in Chicago and taken to a rescue. Her feet are deformed (knarled) and the rescue vet (and my Avian vet) said it's most likely arthritis. She is on Meloxicam daily for pain. The vet records the rescue gave me had "trauma" in her diagnosis. She can't land well due to her feet so just walks a lot. I adopted her and she has obviously never had any positive human interaction. For the entire three years I have had her, her personality is oddly quiet and still. She had a Cockatiel friend who recently passed, but she was doing this way before that. She has a big cage, rope perches, tons of toys, treats, and the door of the cage is never closed. She can fly if she wants. I put on Cockatiel Companion on YouTube for her and she can look out the window. I wheel the cage with me when I go in the bedroom and it's placed very close to my desk when I work. I want her to feel safe. I love her dearly because she's so sweet and special. She has grown to trust me, which is very rewarding but she won't do anything like step up, etc. She doesn't scream - she squeaks (particularly when sirens go by).

Yet, what baffles me is that, with the exception of a couple times a day, she likes to just sit still. She puffs out her cheeks and grinds her beak, so I know she's happy but she's so still and quiet most of the time, I am wondering if that's just her personality or could it be brain damage, or a result of the trauma. I want to make sure she is as happy as she can be so I am trying to find out what could possibly be wrong (or right)? I am used to having very active Cockatiels and I've never had one like this so trying to figure it out. Thank you!
I am adding here after the fact that I have no idea if she is actually a female! I am just guessing. No egg laying activity, no variations in the patterns of the tail feathers. She may be a dude but I've already named her Miss Minnie (after Minnie Mouse because she only squeaks) so I guess it is what it is!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Some birds are just very calm, if her feet were hurting she would probably be standing on one foot much of the time. If she is happy then she is happy. Of course some mental stimulation might help alot. I would make her a foraging tray and teach her a few simple tricks.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are many types of pain. I wouldn’t assume that her being on both feet meant she wasn’t in pain!

RVGirl42

Some birds are just very calm, if her feet were hurting she would probably be standing on one foot much of the time. If she is happy then she is happy. Of course some mental stimulation might help alot. I would make her a foraging tray and teach her a few simple tricks.
Her feet are very knarled and twisted. The vet said she's got joint inflammation from arthritis. I can tell when they hurt because they get very red. She has a lot of mental stimulation and I give her tons of foraging options each day. She really cannot be taught tricks and is pretty much unapproachable. I've taught my other Tiels tricks but she just won't learn. I can just imagine that something very bad happened to her when she was a baby or came from a breeder who overbred and she's genetically not healthy. Or she's just super mellow. I wish she could tell me!

richietiel

Meeting neighbors
Females, in general, tend to be a lot more quiet and mellow than males to my understanding.

In terms of emotional stress/PTSD, etc, Birds most definitely experience it. Self-harm, fear, and violent tendencies in abused and/or stressed birds are well documented. If your baby was out in the wild, found on the street, especially in a busy place like chicago, I would not be surprised if she does have some trauma. She was likely exposed to many animals and people and cars etc. But if she is not hurting herself/showing self-destructive tendencies, or hurting you she is probably okay, for the most part. I think her reluctance to move and play is likely a mix of what others here have said: personality and probably pain from her arthritis. She may not like to be handled or touched for the same reasons. She doesn't sound like she is particularly fearful of you or her surroundings especially if she eats/drinks/poops regularly when you're near her. I'm sure her friend passing doesn't help, though.

At the end of the day, my best advice is to give her plenty of opportunities to come out, play, scream, snuggle...anything she might want to do, but never force her into anything.

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Her feet are very knarled and twisted. The vet said she's got joint inflammation from arthritis. I can tell when they hurt because they get very red. She has a lot of mental stimulation and I give her tons of foraging options each day. She really cannot be taught tricks and is pretty much unapproachable. I've taught my other Tiels tricks but she just won't learn. I can just imagine that something very bad happened to her when she was a baby or came from a breeder who overbred and she's genetically not healthy. Or she's just super mellow. I wish she could tell me!
I wonder if a heated perch would help her with arthritis pain?

RVGirl42

Females, in general, tend to be a lot more quiet and mellow than males to my understanding.

In terms of emotional stress/PTSD, etc, Birds most definitely experience it. Self-harm, fear, and violent tendencies in abused and/or stressed birds are well documented. If your baby was out in the wild, found on the street, especially in a busy place like chicago, I would not be surprised if she does have some trauma. She was likely exposed to many animals and people and cars etc. But if she is not hurting herself/showing self-destructive tendencies, or hurting you she is probably okay, for the most part. I think her reluctance to move and play is likely a mix of what others here have said: personality and probably pain from her arthritis. She may not like to be handled or touched for the same reasons. She doesn't sound like she is particularly fearful of you or her surroundings especially if she eats/drinks/poops regularly when you're near her. I'm sure her friend passing doesn't help, though.

At the end of the day, my best advice is to give her plenty of opportunities to come out, play, scream, snuggle...anything she might want to do, but never force her into anything.
Thank you so much for your wonderful answer!!

RVGirl42

I wonder if a heated perch would help her with arthritis pain?
Is there such a thing? That's a wonderful idea!!!!! She is on pain meds but it's so hard to give it to her in the syringe since she hates being handled. I feel like the bad mom but about an hour after, she's much more active so I know she needs it.

richietiel

Meeting neighbors
Is there such a thing? That's a wonderful idea!!!!! She is on pain meds but it's so hard to give it to her in the syringe since she hates being handled. I feel like the bad mom but about an hour after, she's much more active so I know she needs it.
There are such things! They also make small heaters for bird cages for when the weather gets cold.

Here is a link to a heated perch, but I am sure there are other brands and pricing available...
They seem like good ideas for sure, I just wouldn't leave her unsupervised with it on because it is an electronic device. Risks of wires being chewed, fires, overheating, etc.