• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attempting to syringe feed pierre...he didn't want any.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well, this is work in progress. Sometimes he will, most times he won't.
However the bite on tongue was gentle. he bluffs alot.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Not happening dad, here take that.... Glad it was just a pinch that could have been bad. Remember that reaction so you don't get popped bad someday.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Not happening dad, here take that.... Glad it was just a pinch that could have been bad. Remember that reaction so you don't get popped bad someday.
Ha ha..I have. Many times. I had a Senegal that did and wouldn't let go! Poppers got me really good a couple times. Through and through on lip.
Pierre tends to bluff, he's never drawn blood.
He tends to not want to hurt you, just a nip to say that he doesn't want to do something, then a soft talk he does. He bluffs more than anything.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Are you trying to teach him it's a good thing in case you need to medicate?
Trying. Some days he will, others he won't. Still not really keen on it. If there ever is a time that they have to medicate, having them feel comfortable with syringe feeding is a good thing. Because when they're sick, it's much harder and stressful on them to towel them and do it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch once he grew to trust me he didn't try as hard to bite and started giving plenty of fair warning first. At first it was just no warning... BITE. He also but me a lot and almost peirced the inside of my right ear one morning. I think any of us who have had many birds have plenty of scars from bites while coming to a understanding with each other.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Lurch once he grew to trust me he didn't try as hard to bite and started giving plenty of fair warning first. At first it was just no warning... BITE. He also but me a lot and almost peirced the inside of my right ear one morning. I think any of us who have had many birds have plenty of scars from bites while coming to a understanding with each other.
Oh I definitely have a few permanent scars. Worst bite ever was from a red tail hawk. I took my eyes off my bird and had raw meat I was using to train him. I got nailed really good. Still have that scar. Took and ripped flesh clean to bone. On ring finger. I actually had to have surgery because it cut through tendon and main vien in finger.
They have incredible bite pressure. And beaks that are razor sharp, and powerful, made for tearing flesh like butter.
And of course I've been bit by just about all parrots at one stage or another, from macaws, too's, ekkies, amazons......which bites the hardest, or hurts the worse??? Getting bit by a senegal!! Man, they may be small, but they chew as they bite, and they don't let go.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well be prepared because a pissed off Pionus will do the same, grab and start chewing. I've had both, the quick hard bite and the I'm mad and mean it chewing bite. When they're determined they hang on like a pit bull and chew.
A vet lady who worked on Nerd was reaching in and he tried to bite her, I reached in and grabbed him and he nailed me good. She said don't let him bite you... I said he's my bird and he's allowed to bite me, but he can't bite you...
Then she showed us a long scar by her thumb into her hand. She said it happened when she was a vet in training and was from a Pionus, the worst bite she ever got. Yours was worse but most folks don't handle Hawks:eek:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well be prepared because a pissed off Pionus will do the same, grab and start chewing. I've had both, the quick hard bite and the I'm mad and mean it chewing bite. When they're determined they hang on like a pit bull and chew.
A vet lady who worked on Nerd was reaching in and he tried to bite her, I reached in and grabbed him and he nailed me good. She said don't let him bite you... I said he's my bird and he's allowed to bite me, but he can't bite you...
Then she showed us a long scar by her thumb into her hand. She said it happened when she was a vet in training and was from a Pionus, the worst bite she ever got. Yours was worse but most folks don't handle Hawks:eek:
I've had many tell me that a pionus can pack a bite and chew, much like a senny. Pionus is one parrots I never had. Owls aren't so bad. Had a barn owl. P1030792_kindlephoto-158169993.jpg

Last edited:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Worst bite I ever experienced was our Red Lored at a vets office. She needed to draw blood from Bo and, with bare hands, attempted to immobilize him. Bo was on high alert and having nothing of it.

I offered to hold him, but she insisted. She almost succeeded, but Bo did his reverse aligator death spin ( I knew it was coming ) and took not one, but two chunks out of her hand. Blood all over her office. Hers, not his. This was 2 years ago.

We visited her last week and she showed me the battle scars on her hand. Nasty.....

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
It's a good idea to get them used to syringe feeding the only one who needs meds everyday is Howard for his diabetes. He does the Amazon roll but doesn't have the energy to do the full roll and ends up saying "come on now." I have always read human saliva isn't good for parrots and I personally don't think any parrot bluffs! It's a back off. But I'm not as brave as you either!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well, this is work in progress. Sometimes he will, most times he won't.
However the bite on tongue was gentle. he bluffs alot.

Well, he prefers the same stuff, only by spoon. If I put syringe down and use spoon, he'll eat it.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Someday I'll get there with my other ones I hope.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Someday I'll get there with my other ones I hope.
You will. Just have to be patient and try everyday day, twice a day. They finally will give in and try it. Practice makes perfect.
I been trying every day with pierre, he's been refusing syringe and spoon... he tried syringe a couple times by chance , but mainly refuses.
Last several days though he has been using spoon more and more and is getting used to it and liking it. So don't worry, it will come.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It's a good idea to get them used to syringe feeding the only one who needs meds everyday is Howard for his diabetes. He does the Amazon roll but doesn't have the energy to do the full roll and ends up saying "come on now." I have always read human saliva isn't good for parrots and I personally don't think any parrot bluffs! It's a back off. But I'm not as brave as you either!
Yea usually I don't offer things out of my mouth,
not a good idea. Sometimes you have to play the
" Oh look I like it and it's good", card in order for them to try something.
I'm video I meant to stick tongue out and show Pierre I have some and I like it. But wrong move, and nabbed my tongue.

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
Human saliva is very dangerous for parrots. It contains gram-negative bacteria which are potentially deadly to parrots. Here is an article about it, and I have also heard vets explain how dangerous it is transmitting that type of bacteria through saliva or by other means:

Please never give anything that has been in your mouth to your bird.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Human saliva is very dangerous for parrots. It contains gram-negative bacteria which are potentially deadly to parrots. Here is an article about it, and I have also heard vets explain how dangerous it is transmitting that type of bacteria through saliva or by other means:

Please never give anything that has been in your mouth to your bird.
I'm well aware of it.