• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

attacking a visitor

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My son i law called around last night whilst Mojo was out of the cage i told him if Mojo lands on him to just stand still and i will come and get her not that i expected her to show any interest in him however within a minute she was on his should feathers puffed neck raised :banghead: ( she has also done this with my son )

I did manage to quickly intervene and got quite a nip myself before managing to get her back in her cage i know the ideal thing would be for her to not be outside of her cage and i can facilitate this if i know people are going to visit.

Is there anything i can do to get her used to family members who do visit ? in case she does happen to be out of her cage.

going forward if we receive a unanounced visit it will have to be a case of me or my wife taking her into the conservatory and closing the doors and sitting with her for the duration of the visit.

I do have my son givin her some millet through the cage bars when he arrives at the moment and spending a little time talking to her as he will be the person who looks after her if and when me and my wife are away from home.

Any advice would be appreciated

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does she do this to just male visitors or any visitors? If you want her to be more socialized with others, is there anyone or maybe better a few people who are willing to come and work with you on it? Maybe doing short periods of time with a person maybe talking to her in her cage and trying to hand feed her treats, progressing to being out of the cage and then actually with the person? Not quite the same thing, but I have an issue with Elvis screaming the entire time someone comes to visit unless he's out. And out isn't always an option. So, a woman from the rescue I help with offered to come over and work with being the test person to get Elvis not to scream when some one is here. We haven't done it yet but that's what gave me the idea for you.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have got my son doing what you suggested feeding treats and talking to her as he will look after her if we are away but thought would ask to see if there was anything else i could do.
I would be interested in hearing how you progress with Elvis as it could help.

Thanks for the reply

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It also could be a hormonal thing or she may see you as her mate and doesn't want other interference. There's a good article that @JLcribber has that might lend some insight too. I'll see if I can find it or maybe someone else can repost it.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It also could be a hormonal thing or she may see you as her mate and doesn't want other interference. There's a good article that @JLcribber has that might lend some insight too. I'll see if I can find it or maybe someone else can repost it.
Thanks for that

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is the article: Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

I would take a moment and put your bird in the cage when people come over so that he can get used to visitors before he is allowed interact.
She was fine with my son and then suddenly took a dislike to him for no apparent reason.
I have told people to give us notice if they are visiting so i can make sure shes away.
Thanks for the article