• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attached too soon

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
Hello, brand new bird owner here!

I’m panicking a bit (understatement) because I’m worried my cockatiel is too “attached” to me already...

I literally just got them today, and I think I might’ve accidentally given them too much attention (because I have a hard time saying no) and now he freaks out when left alone.
Currently, I’ve left the room and he’s chilling in his cage. In the beginning there was LOTS of squeaking, but he seems to have calmed down now.

I honestly don’t know if this is the right thing to do or what to do next. I feel bad for leaving him. I’ve done so much and waited so long to get this bird, and the idea of messing up on the first day is breaking me.

Any advice? Or has anyone done the same thing? Have I screwed up?
Sorry if this is annoying or if I sound really inexperienced...genuinely panicked.

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
Okay so, I’m in the same room now and he seems to be okay.
I could still really use some advice though. I think I may have gone a little over the top with my panic, but I’m still nervous.

I can google all I want, but I would like to know how you guys suggest I continue.
I have to change food and water (of course) but I’m quite scared to handle him too much again.
How should I proceed?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
How should I proceed?
You've already started the first step . . . RELAX.

You're bonding with your bird. Unless you actually *planned* to have a cage pet, this is a good thing. Yes, it's probably happening faster than you thought, but if he is looking for you as "safety" in a scary new world, that is not a bad thing. You ARE his flock, and that's what you want! If you can spend the time, do -- you're building a relationship, and that takes time.

In the mean time, relax. Get used to your bird as he gets used to you and his new surroundings :)

. . . And Welcome to the Avenue! Any pics of the new guy yet? Whats his name?

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
hank you so much!!
I’ve just put him to sleep now, but it’s really reassuring to hear that I haven’t actually done anything wrong-
I was just worried because school will start eventually, and I won’t be around as often :(

I don’t have very many pics yet unfortunately, but I can assure yo there will be THOUSANDS...I feel bad for my phone storage!
Oh, and his name is Gnocchi :)

You've already started the first step . . . RELAX.

You're bonding with your bird. Unless you actually *planned* to have a cage pet, this is a good thing. Yes, it's probably happening faster than you thought, but if he is looking for you as "safety" in a scary new world, that is not a bad thing. You ARE his flock, and that's what you want! If you can spend the time, do -- you're building a relationship, and that takes time.

In the mean time, relax. Get used to your bird as he gets used to you and his new surroundings :)

. . . And Welcome to the Avenue! Any pics of the new guy yet? Whats his name?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
When you go about your home doing normal human stuff respond to his calls to reassure him. Develop a whistle or a phrase to reply with. Just let him know you're there and you're both safe.

Frogpasta

Meeting neighbors
When you go about your home doing normal human stuff respond to his calls to reassure him. Develop a whistle or a phrase to reply with. Just let him know you're there and you're both safe.
Okay, will do!!
I think I just got a slight case of first day jitters...I pretty much forgot everything I’ve ever learnt ever.
thank you for the advice and putting up with my antics :)