• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attached to my parents

kenneth042

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kenneth
So I got my macaw on October 27 and I have seen that whenever my parents are around she starts dancing and talking ect. However when she’s with me she doesn’t do any of that but she still takes treats and doesn’t bite me which I’m glad about. But I’m wondering does she like them more than me it’s weird because she never sees my dad but she dances around him too. I don’t treat her any differently however I just wanted to know if there was some way for her to get closer to me because I know she’s okay with me being around her. But whenever my mom gets home I feel like shizz because she does so much things with my mom than she does with me and I feel like I will never get to the same level with her. But I do know it hasn’t been much time and I have a lot of patience I just wanted to know if this is how it will always be because I plan to move out in the future and start my life I’m 16 lol and of course I’m going to have my little parrot live with me too.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You've had her a very short time, I doubt she's fully chosen your parents over you.
Birds do have likes and dislikes though, and we can't always change who they fall for.
One thing I'm thinking is as she's new to your home, you may be putting a bit of pressure on her unknowingly.
Your parents are probably are giving her more space, thus she may be more receptive of them.
Try backing off for a time, just offering quiet companionship.
Don't ask/force any contact and don't have any set expectations.
Parrots also can and do change their preferences over time.
My amazon loved my daughters growing up and barely gave me the time of day.
Once they moved out, he slowly decided I was acceptable. ;)