• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attached Cockatiel

AddieWattl

Moving in
Hey guys, my cockatiel is around 6 months old. When I got him he was clipped but I want him to grow his feathers back so he can fly. Every time I leave the room he screams until I come back and doesn't like being in his cage. I swap around his toys a lot, so is there any way I could get him to like his cage more? Or when he's able to fly will he become more independent?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Have you tried a routine with certain times a day your bird stays in the cage? Also, treats in toys make toys alot more interesting. You can show him to forage outside the cage and use the same toys with the same treats inside the cage .

AddieWattl

Moving in
Have you tried a routine with certain times a day your bird stays in the cage? Also, treats in toys make toys alot more interesting. You can show him to forage outside the cage and use the same toys with the same treats inside the cage .
I do have a routine but when I put him away but he's still upset. I'll try and get him to forage more, thanks

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
His cage needs to be a fun and rewarding place for him. Gove him his meals inside his cage. Place lots of fun destructible toys inside. Give him treats for him to forage around to find.

When his flight feathers grow back, are you going to allow him to fly to each room to follow you? If so, there's no reason he can't follow you now, right? Set up perches in the rooms he will be allowed to go, and bring with you. This also may help for when he is flighted, he'll know where to go instead of flying around confused looking for a place to land.

Reactions: tka