• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At wits end with plucking/barbering

BorbOrb

Checking out the neighborhood
My lovie is about 10 years old, and has been plucking his feathers for a few years now, starting with his tail, then his legs, upper chest, and now his back and wings. In the last year, he has begun chewing bloodfeathers on his wings, making himself bleed and never letting wing feathers grow. He loudly squeaks as he does this, rapidly switching where he plucks We've been to the vet, who ruled out beak & feather disease and ran him through antibiotics and Prozac. I've used topical sprays, calming and feather-promoting food additives, and physical barriers, including the sock vest, collar, elizabethan-style collar, and a cape from Avian Fashions. He will not wear physical barriers despite conditioning. He commences hurling himself around the cage to get it off, hurting himself and refusing to eat or drink for hours, all while being visibly very stressed, so I am understandably very reluctant to attempt it again. He is also on Harrison's pellets with fresh produce treats during the day

I'm completely lost. I've done everything I can think of and that has been suggested to me, and he continues to mutilate his feathers. What else can I do? What other causes should I look into?

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Does he have ample outside of cage time, toys (things he can pluck,destroy and shred specifiacally), another bird to talk to..?

Has he been introduced to foraging for his food? I have a feather ‘snipper’ and as long as I can provide lots of things for him to destroy he eases off on his feathers. We also let him live ‘cage free’. However, that would be very hard with a lovebird as they’re so tiny!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Has he had a cbc test done? What is his diet?

jax7271

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Maybe you have tried this already, but I found that Twin Beaks Herb Salad helped my Goffin with her plucking issues.