• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At what age will their hormone settle?

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
My boys are 1 year old and 9 months old respectively. At such young age I understand hormones are fairly new to them and they will act out of control at times...
But will there be an age they get used to it and settle calmly?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hormonal times will always come and go.

As you have boys, what are they like? I find my boys are nothing like hormonal hens. They are much easier to handle and sometimes I don´t even have any behaviour changes other than a little extra regurgitation on toys and more swishy swishy dancing.

I find that moulting affects my boys more than being ¨hormonal¨, as they can be a little cranky when pins are growing.

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Hormonal times will always come and go.

As you have boys, what are they like? I find my boys are nothing like hormonal hens. They are much easier to handle and sometimes I don´t even have any behaviour changes other than a little extra regurgitation on toys and more swishy swishy dancing.

I find that moulting affects my boys more than being ¨hormonal¨, as they can be a little cranky when pins are growing.
Well... yeah you have a point. I find them more bitier during molting. With the older one he likes to rub himself on various objects...
my recent diet program of chops and sprouted seeds have been helping so far

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
With the older one he likes to rub himself on various objects...
Like doing his dance? As long as he´s not getting possessive over a special item, then I would allow him to get it out of his system :)

In my experience, girls are just a nightmare when hormonal. Some are completely unapproachable. The problem is that is when they become dangerous to their cagemate. My youngest girl has some serious attitude when hormonal, but she´s not completely unapproachable like her mum :backout:

Though in saying all of this, I do know there are some super sweet girlies that don´t behave this way. Ultimately it falls down to the individual bird.

Ocha_Tuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Raymond
Like doing his dance? As long as he´s not getting possessive over a special item, then I would allow him to get it out of his system :)
He kinda did, once with the remote on the table.
But that was before the diet, I should see how it goes again

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
more swishy swishy dancing.
This happens with Momo a lot. The hormones are acting up again and he can't leave Peter (my boyfriend) alone. Also he gets more territorial towards Mido (my other lovebird). Towards us Momo is very much the same. Just want to be preened a little more.
Mido is looking for dark spaces. But I try to avoid it, so no worries there either.
Overall, not really a spectacular difference. Just a reminder that the seasons a changing and we need to avoid dark and tiny places.

But I know @TikiMyn has a little bit of a tougher time with her boys last spring. They were not getting along and whenever they were outside the cage, looking for dark small spaces. Although they are bonded she had to separate them for a while. (I'm speaking for her, she might be a little bit to busy to response. But I find it important to share. I think there is a lot to learn about this experience).

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My boys are very even tempered, and none of them currently accost their toys or perches in frisky ways, lol. Though Craybie once loved one rope perch sooo much that I had to take it out! :roflmao: He was going for a bald backside! They get calmer as they get older, too. My youngest boy right now is Toki (I think he’s maybe around 3 years old). The others are 8+.

The GIRLS, though...yeek. Both Glitch and Snerky can be quite intimidating when hormonal! :scrstf: (And yes, they definitely are today! The wife and I just talked about them getting hormonal and “nesty” this morning. She came to help me feed her very angry girl!) Neutrino never. She’s the sweetest girl. :angel3: