• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At 73yo I still don't know it all yet

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Just learned something pretty cool. Never thought of it before but it does make sense. Taking equal amounts of pellet bird food to hot water it's possible to get a bird to eat pellets if they usually don't. It changes up the consistency and smell to make it more interesting.
I tried it on Farlie and it worked! I tried one Tablespoon hot water to one Tablespoon Tropimix then let it cool down some, stirred well and gave it to him. He spent about 15 minutes or so messing with it and even ate some. This morning I watched him eat some of his dry mix which he wouldn't touch yesterday.

Give it a try, guys, if you haven't already. It worked on my end. :cool:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco used to love mash made with hot water and pellets! Such an easy way to add some textural variety to their diet.
I never thought to try it on a pellet-resistant fid, that's such a great idea!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I roughly grind pellets into powder and serve a wet mush of it to Burt every day- he loves it. He eats pellets fine but he really looks forward to his afternoon warm pellet paste mush.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I've made the mush and added some dry pellets to it so they would get used to eating it normal. Just make sure you dont leave it out all day