• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Astrid attacked

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh I am so happy for you that all is all right!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow! I'm so glad that Astrid will be ok! This almost exact same thing happened to me and an old roommate's quaker. Reggie went into his cage which used to be Tuchie's cage and she didn't see him in there when she put her Quaker away. To her defense, she was legally blind. Reggie did a lot more damage to her Quaker, but he made it through. Accidents happen. Reggie never showed a single sign of aggressiveness toward her Quaker but he obviously didn't want to share a cage with him...

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
So glad Astrid will be ok :hug8:

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Just got home and OMG! So glad Astrid will be okay. Kinda glad I was at work because I just jumped to the last page and found the happy ending :xflove: :hug8:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
I'm so glad she will be okay! :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
So glad to hear Astrid is going to be OK. Large/small bird violence is always so very stressful and hurtful. I am so glad you were able to intervene before great harm was done. Sending warm fuzzy hugs and positive healing energy to you, your family and Astrid.

The fact Astrid is more assertive than Hiccup is probably the reason why she got the beating and not him; Ducky would have reacted to the bird that challenged his presence. My Sunny Senegal went through a really aggressive period around the age of three to about seven years old. She would fly over to the cockatiel cages (I kept them in pairs in their own cages then) and inevitably one of the tiels would go charging up to her, challenging Sunny's presence near their territory. Sunny would pull out beakfuls of feathers and at least twice in those years Sunny injured a cockatiel's beak, causing permanent deformity. I had to purchase acrylic shields to attach to the cages to keep Sunny from hurting more birds; she was so quick in her attacks I could not stop her fast enough even when I was standing right beside her. Then, suddenly, between age seven and eight years, Sunny suddenly became more mellow and stopped attacking the tiels. Once Sunny became completely cage free, she stopped 99% of her aggression against the other birds. It is only during her hormonal season (now) that she gets short tempered and chases the birds away from her cage and her nest box. Otherwise, she is much more mellow than she was when she was younger.

Hopefully Astrid will recover quickly and well. :hug8:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:( oh! poor da baby girl...:hug8:.give her a big ~:kiss2:~
from me...

Muz

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Muz
So glad it wasn't 5mm lower..

Sunshine1313

Sprinting down the street
I'm so glad that Astrid is okay. Good job on acting fast and getting the lock for the cage.

casey&casper

So glad Astrid is going to be fine, Summer.

The nearest avian vet to me is an hour and a half drive. If God forbid something terrible happens to Casper it's a minimum 90 minutes (in good traffic) to get him help. Just thinking about it makes me sweat.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So relieved Astrid is going to be alright. How is Ducky doing? :hug8:

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
So relieved Astrid is going to be alright. How is Ducky doing? :hug8:

Ducky is not very amused with us. Between back/forth from vets, and other things going on today, he has been mostly caged. (Has nothing to do with what happened, just a in and out day for me and Ducky is only out when I am here) But other then that, he appears the same o' Ducky. :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Relieved and happy to hear Astrid is OK...poor baby - extra hugs, scritches and treats for her.

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Poor lil' Astrid. What a perfect storm. Hope she heals quickly.

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I have to admit that I shed a tear (or 2 or 3) when I read Astrid was going to be ok. :hug8:
Did the twins witness what happened? :(

birdle

oh god, poor astrid but so glad she's ok. must have been such a stressful day :hug8:

dadof5

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dave
That we know of idk if the twins witnessed it or not I was not paying attention to where they were because the first thing I saw was ducky in their cage. This really freaked me out.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm glad she will be ok! How scary! :jawdrop1:

Are you sure the twins opened the cage? 'Toos are known for being escape artists and it would be that much easier to open from the outside.

Keeping a towel handy is a good idea as the time it took to go get help could have meant the end to one or both little birds. A towel could have helped to catch Ducky quickly and get him out. Having hand held rope or branch perches handy is also helpful to separate birds when your hand is also at risk.

The lock & chain is a good idea but it won't keep Ducky off their cage. He could easily kill them through the cage bars. I think a separate room would be a better plan to keep them safe. Birds in and out of cages at the same time is the most dangerous situation. Toes are always at risk and the ones inside usually want to defend their territory.

So glad it wasn't worse! :hug8: