• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Astrid attacked

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Its times like this I am so very thankful that I live literally blocks from my Avian vet...

This morning Dave stepped outside for a cigarette before coming downstairs to wake me. Ducky as usual was on his cage, and the tiels where in their cage. Dave heard a commotion and opened the door to check on everyone. To his utter horror, Ducky was across the room, and INSIDE the teils cage! He immediately tried to grab Ducky out, no go. Ducky nailed him. He could not get the babies out either as they where screaming on the bottom of the cage and every time Dave reached for them Ducky went for him. He ran and grabbed me, waking me by telling me to get upstairs NOW, the babies had been attacked by Ducky. Of course we both FLEW up the stairs, He distracted Ducky and I snagged the babies out of the cage.

I immediately check them over, Hiccup appears fine. No obvious wounds, wings, feet, everything appears fine.

Astrid however is another story. She had blood from her cere, and her eye ~ or at least just above it, appears injured with trace amounts of blood. I grabbed the nearest carrier (hamster carrier, but big enough for her) and dial the vet as I am putting on my shoes. I explain who is coming and why. They say we will see you when I get here. I informed them that I was at the light. (They are located on a corner). I walk in, they took her back. I am awaiting word now...

Dave and I are pretty sure that Ducky flew to the tiels cage, and the twins (who are 3) opened the door for him. . :( (Ducky has slowly been exploring his wings, and yesterday on his own made it across the room)

We are pretty shaken up, we have never had anything like this happen before. Not even close, on the occasions when Ducky and the tiels have been out together, (supervised of course) he has never shown aggression towards them. I have sat with Ducky on the half wall, slightly behind me and above me and Astrid on my plate and everyone shared spaghetti with no issues. Of course, we have never let them too close to each other, and it has never been allowed without an adult right there.

Dave and I have now installed a chain and lock on the tiels cage. This will NOT happen again...Now its just a waiting game.... :unsure1:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope Astrid will be okay :hug8: The tiels' cage used to be Ducky's, right? Poor guy was probably confused.

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:jawdrop1: ..oh man! that really sucks...poor little Astrid...I so hope it's nothing serious Summer...
  • :hug8:

GlassOnion

Whew! Sounds like you avoided a HUGE disaster by intervening in time. I am sure Astrid will be fine, but big hugs! :hug8: :hug8:

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I hope Astrid will be okay :hug8: The tiels' cage used to be Ducky's, right? Poor guy was probably confused.

Yes, the tiels got his old cage. Which because he normally does not fly, and they are located across the room. Had not been an issue. Ducky actually flying has been a fairly new development, and one that is still "accidental" at best.

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
:hug8: Thinking of you!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Sending prayers for Astrid. :hug8: Keep us updated!

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Hoping it's nothing too serious for Astrid!! :hug8:

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
:jawdrop1: ..oh man! that really sucks...poor little Astrid...I so hope it's nothing serious Summer...
  • :hug8:

Me too Lupe, me too.

If it had to happen, at least it happened on a good day. I say that because today is one of the days that the Avian vet is on duty. She only works PT, and of course they have their "backup" avian vet. But she usually only treats the wildlife that comes in. As she said Ducky got sick, hand me a cockatoo, I am uneasy. But put an adult raptor on my table and I am in my element... :bored:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
Oh for sure! and you and Dave really did catch this right on time...keep us posted dear.:hug8:..

solo

Real Name
jess
poor baby , please keep us updated :hug8:

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
:hug8: omg good thing Dave heard the commotion and you both responded so quickly. :hug8: i hope astrid only has minor scraps :hug8: wishing you and astrid feel better

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so very sorry. I hope that Astrid will be alright.

Matt

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I hope Astrid is OK. I bet Ducky is like Pooka, who is not really aggressive, but thinks he owns the world and can be a PITA if things don't go his way.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Everything crossed for little Astrid :hug8:

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I hope Astrid is OK. I bet Ducky is like Pooka, who is not really aggressive, but thinks he owns the world and can be a PITA if things don't go his way.

He is starting to get this way. Which from the timid scared of everything bird we brought home is actually a good thing....

I am hoping that he just nailed her with a warning stay away bite and not a full out one. I am most concerned with the eye. I hope she does not lose it. :( It looked really funny, and I am afraid that when he got her, that it is where he "snaggle" tooth went.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,sending prayers I hope she will be ok!

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
Just off phone with the vet, she is going to be just fine. :heart:

Vet says it is minimal trama, that the eye is ok. She is getting antibiotic drops for both eye and nose to ward off any potential infection. And of course I have to watch for the typical signs of things not healing. I am headed down in a few minutes to get her and bring her home!