• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Aspirating medicine

Cinnanymph

Checking out the neighborhood
** NOTE : The emergency vet HAS been called; their advice is that there's not much they can do in this situation, just wait and see. I have decided to wait half an hour before calling again to see how she responds, and her vet WILL be notified in the morning **

I brought home the latest member of my flock after a gruelling trip and popping into my avian vet on the way home to see about her eye, as it had become infected whilst still being reared and was treated at home by the breeder (I know, I know, I wasn't too happy either, believe me). She was a little gem, and she has been prescribed an antibio and eyedrops.

When I got her home, I gave her the 0.05ml and her eyedrops. It seemed to me as though her breath had become 'clicky', she was sneezing quite a bit, and she has her beak very slightly open with her tongue being seen (tongue is INSIDE beak, not outside). I panicked, called the emergency vet line as I believed she had inhaled or aspirated some of the medicine.

Their advice is that there is little they can do in this situation. It's an antibiotic, so if she develops pneumonia then she's already medicated, and to let her rest and take a drink/have a snack and see how she gets on. At the moment, I have her in the bedroom - the avian vet recommended keeping her away from the flock until the end of her medicine so no introductions even from a distance yet! - with a lamp on and the room dim, half the cafe is covered for shelter so she can see what's going on but it's dark enough for snoozing. I've closed the door so she isn't disturbed, and I will look at her in a little while to make sure she is okay.

Pretty much, has anyone else dealt with this situation? I panic so easily because she is only little, she's 3 months old and I want the absolute best for her. I'm a hardcore believer of VET VET VET, but it doesn't quell the nerves at 9pm Friday night!!

Cinnanymph

Checking out the neighborhood
So, an update because I know people come across threads like this when Googling about what to do with their own pet:

** IF YOU ARE CONCERNED THIS HAS HAPPENED TO YOUR PET, CONTACT AN AVIAN VET AND AN EMERGENCY VET IF YOU CANNOT GET IN CONTACT WITH YOUR AVIAN VET **

Anyway, Youngest Birb is super-great! She took her medicine a day later no problem, so it was likely the fact she was exhausted after coming home that was the issue. She is eating, drinking, vocal, grooming, playing, and just overall a little dream. Her avian vet is being kept up to date with her progress, and I am so happy that she is coming out of her shell with playing with toys and causing chaos on my desk. Here's to a long and happy bonding and future together!

I updated another thread on her progress but didn't update this one. Her avian contacted me on Monday after being given the lowdown by the emergency vet, and I think our collective stress just caused a complete meltdown. It was scary, but it's nice to be able to say that Youngest Birb is beeping away and has plans to attack the straw in my drink tomorrow!