• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Aspergillious Pako - not 911, but worrisome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
He's had this since I re-homed him in July. It's just a chronic thing. We thought we nabbed it, but it came back.

I'm crying because he's a little wheezy today. I'm giving him meds but sometimes he shakes his head and it gets all over the place. I don't redose because I don't want to over dose. He hates the meds beyond reason.

I love Pako to death, I just don't know what to think right now. I called the vet to get an appointment tomorrow. He's acting pretty normal. Last time we x-rayed him, it was in 1 air sac, pretty bad, but not horrendous.
They're talking about nebulizing him or going in endoscopically to removed the chunks of ew.
Anyone know the price of that?

I'm just so worried and I don't want him to be ill anymore. I don't know what to do or think right now.:(

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh sweetie. I'd be in tears too. I can't offer you any advice because I've never had to deal with this. All I can do is send positive thoughts and healing prayers your way. Wishing you both the best.:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Jen I dont know either but just try to think positive and see what the vet says tomorrow..maybe it is totally unrelated.:hug8:

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Thanks so much guys. I know the good thoughts and prayers will help.
I was reminded how the birdies are receptive to emotions. I tried to cheer up a little while ago for his sake... I just got done rolling him around on the towel shelf. "I'm gonna get those toes, I'm gonna get that beak." It's like birdy rough-housing. He's spunky, wagging his tail, so that's a good thing.
I know birds don't show off illness well, but he's got spirit a least.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to read Pako isn't doing well. I understand your fear and frustration. Asper is something you don't get rid of, you just control it. That said I have to stress how very important it is for Pako to get his medication, all of it. If you can't get the full dose in orally please try nebulizing the medication. Nebulizing will also help soothe Pako's air sacs. I have a GW with air sac damage and the warm mist nebulizer always seems to soothe him.

Hugs to you and hang in there. I know how hard it is when you have a bird with a chronic health issues.

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
The vets mentioned scooping the gunk out. How well will that work? Do you have an idea? If it's risky, then I don't want to do it... If it's pointless, then why waste the time and money?
I think the nebulizer will be a better route. He doesn't have to really ingest anything.
Right now he launches himself off the top of the cage when he sees the syringes and blanket. He has an old injury so he doesn't glide so gently. u_u

He is a truly amazing fid. My dad adores him and he didn't want birds to start with.
He stretches his wings out to show off and try to get attention. We all go "oooh and aaaahhh" to encourage him. He always does this when I come home from work, signaling "Look at me! I am glorious! Let's cuddle!"
He attacks the coffee creamer out of jealousy or perhaps protecting us from a threat. He does the craziest head-bob. If he wants cuddles, he will climb down the cage, walk across the living room, climb up your leg, and wag his tail on your shoulder.
Lord of jealousy... There are no others. Only Pako. (Although there's Elly, Georgie, and Mikey). He will cause a huge ruckus if someone is showering and he's not invited to hang out on the towel shelf. I figure the humidity is good for him?
He's my baby boy.
Him getting ready for meds.
Oh and I messaged HankMacaw...!

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am sorry you and Pako are going through this :hug8: Danita is right HankMacaw could give you some good advice about her experiences

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Volunteering at the wildlife center is helping too. A vet is kind enough to be giving me some info on it on FB. I put fluffy blankeys on each side of his cage. Cuddled him, he preened my nose. I'm going to ease off playing rolly-polly with him to keep his excitement down. Might move him out of the living room for the same reason. Humidity from the shower may help like a humidifier.
Dr. Schneider is back from maternity leave it seems. She's a wonderful vet who really cares about animals and people and works with them on price.
Keep praying for Pako. <3

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think the nebulization is a good idea, but I would not go for the surgery without more information. It seems like it would be too traumatic and if you can control it with meds, that would be better.'

Prayers coming for his improvement.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Jen thinking about you this morning..let us know how things are going when you have an update.:hug8:

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
:hug8: Praying for Pako. He sounds so sweet. I hope that the nebulized meds help him feel much much better and to continue to enjoy his life for a long time to come.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry :hug8:. Good thoughts coming for you guys.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prayers are winging thier way to Paco! Hugs to you. I know how scarey it can be. After Dexter had Pneumonia and watching him struggle to breathe, I feel your concern. Nebulizer treatments work great.

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
I have a humidifier back from when I was a kid (old humidifier is old, but works!). I'll go pester my mom to put it near him. I'm at work right now. I'm fortunate to have her home to watch everyone.
I want to be with my baby boy...! Some people in the office understand my love for my birds, some don't... I don't think there's a problem with me leaving to take him.

HankMacaw gave me some really helpful information. I'm going to print some things out and take it with me to the vet today. I have an appointment at 3.

There is a small army on the Pako rescue. =P

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Sending you and Pako positive thoughts.

Let us know how everything goes at the vet!!!

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Pako on the towel shelf playing peek-a-boo
Went to the vet. I found out Dr. Noonan's going back to NY. =( He's so awesome, birdy loving.. and cute. =/ He's been watching out for Pako the whole time. They work with me with payments too because my unique flock is always there. Dr. Grant is also wonderful and has been in the mix with my babies so she knows what's going on too.

The medicine from South Africa came in on Tuesday, he was just situating and getting all the info together. Today should be the last day of the icky oral medicine and I'm picking up the stuff for the nebulizer tomorrow.
The humidifier is going.
The male nurse (who has bird tattoos of his beloved companions who have passed, just like me with my Cliffy tat) said that Pako was a beautiful, healthy looking bird. Good plumage, nice beak. He's 205grams right now. I think when I first got him he was 196-198. (He's a big mitred conure) Oh and I showed him the "Alex and Me" Book I started. He said, "Yup, that's been passed around here." Mom was like, "You guys are all alike!" =D YES!

The medicine will be administered slowly, once a day for a week, then 2 times, then 3 times until it's broken up. After wards they'll run the tests and x-rays again.

I meant to ask about the milk thistle HankMacaw mentioned, but I'll do so next visit.

I told them about the wheezy sounds, they weren't as bad today as they were yesterday. They observed him and I suppose he's not to keel over on me.
So it seems like we're ok until we can get him on the new meds.

I went to my Doctor's appointment right after. I didn't have time to bring Pako home. My mom was with me, so I thought to leave him with her when I had to go in. My doctor and her crew are the best. They welcomed him into the room with me. She even held out a hand so Pako could climb onto her. He did and showed her some love. He was such a flirt! He doesn't do that to just anyone either. She's an animal lover and was happy to meet him. Pako is a good judge of character. I used to hate doctors until I met her. My family sees her now too. She even knew about aspers and wanted to see him again. =D

So that's the update on my boy. He seems happy... I just don't want surprises... I'm watching him. He's hanging out on the shower curtain in the bathroom at the moment. He probably wants some misting.

As silly as it is, I prayed to God to send Clifford to watch over him, just as I did when Georgie had his seizures (hasn't had one since that time) and I like to think it's helping along with everyone else's prayers... @,@

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.