• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Asap answers needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
The hospital just called and asked if I want to give Biscuit Lupron (?) to help prevent her from laying more. I would have to take her to the vet 3 times in 9 weeks or so. She is not hand tame and this would be stressful.

Should we do the shots?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
That is a tough one, can you ask your vet what they recommend?
Some people have had success with it, while others haven't.

Bea has had them, I hated to watch because it went right in her tummy and it hurt :(
I stopped

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm torn because she hasn't been laying for the past 4 years. So I don't know if she's.going to be a layer now or if it was a one time thing. She was quite low on calcium because of the egg.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kacy I have no experience but if it was me and she wasnt a chronic layer I would say wait and see what happens. :hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kacy I have no experience but if it was me and she wasnt a chronic layer I would say wait and see what happens. :hug8:
I agree, I was afraid of the possible side effects so, we decided to wait with Kita and watch how we handle her.... no cuddling, no shredding, no warm soft foods... no nesty looking spaces.... and watch her calcium levels.... she has laid 2 eggs since May, so not bad.....

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I would hold off then if she isn't laying, for sure!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just seeing this, Glad shes ok. I didnt do the lupron either. I have liquid calcium that the girls all get by mouth and also goes in the water. It really helped here, they still lay eggs but havent had an espisode in a long time. Best to talk to the vet, if she isnt tame, oral calcium could be stressful but could also save her any future issues. Good luck,,,,again Im so glad she is ok.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
hold off on it..she is not a chronic layer....if you increase her calcium now, if she does lay another, then you should be ok....lupron has some side effects and also sometimes does not work..

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
I did the Lupron shots but this was after Farfey went egg bound on me twice and she was laying eggs non stop. This was in April 2010 and she did not lay anymore eggs with the shots but my husband also left to go out of the country for a year at the same time. So I am not sure if it was the shots or my hubby leaving :confused:. Either way, I would wait if she is not a chronic egg layer. I also made sure to remove all nesty stuff from her cage and I watched warm foods. This was her last egg, the one that really messed her up. She did the incubator also and it worked for her too. I am glad Biscuit is OK, I know how scarey it is.

View attachment 70468

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Lucky has an herbal alternative to Lupron, called Evitex. It is administered via syringe twice a day during when she gets nesty...she's not hand tame either but isn't super stressed by being toweled anymore either. Maybe you could ask about that?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Thanks guys. I had to make a decision really fast, so I told the vet to go ahead and give the Lupron shot. She isn't due for another shot for 3 weeks, and therefore, I have plenty of time to research and decide if we want to continue them or not.

The vet isn't sure why Biscuit is laying eggs now after not for so long, but she said sometimes birds go in cycles like this, where they don't lay for years and years, and then start laying again. Also, she said it could be Biscuit's new cotton perch I put in there. I added it just before hormone season, and Biscuit is always on it now. The vet said it could be that it feels soft and made Biscuit feel nesty.

So after she can perch normally again, I'll remove the cotton perch. But for now, it's the only perch she is able to stabilize on (the mass pressed on her left leg nerve, and she is lame now...).

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I wonder why your shots are three weeks apart...? That's a LONG time in between for each shot. Ideally, they should be given 10 days apart per my Avian vet... :confused:

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I'd hold off until you know if there's going to be a problem or not. If she hasn't laid in four years then this may be a one time thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.