• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

As Requested Lola"s story......

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

Lola was purchased 4 months ago from a Pet Supplies Plus (the sticker is still on the cage) by a Boyfriend and girlfriend. The woman is in college and her first bird was a cockatiel. They purchased Lola and a Timneh African grey close together. The Timneh also has some behavioral issues (biting) and the couple just could not dedicate time to Lola.
Lola was sold as a plucker also. She started plucking in the stores as she was moved from store to store until finally she was a "clearance" bird. The couple had no idea on the needs of a Macaw (as they only had a cockatiel). They tried theyre best to provide time for her but the lack of time they could spend with her affected her behaviors and the woman was disliked as she claimed it. The guy....thought he was like a bird whisperer..NO EXPERIENCE with birds...He was doing everything wrong! We witnessed him be severely bitten by her 3-4 times before we stepped in and said..THATS ENOUGH! Obviously you have no idea what you are doing...The body language...OMG he was bleeding everywhere. As Jen and I stood there in shock he was taking so much punishment......

The woman you could tell was frightened of Lola, she was sad to see her go but it really was for the best. Even on the step stool she was ripping out her feathers there and had more bald spots before we could get her.
The guy...OH I could write a book on THOSE type of people....Jen and I had to stop him 3-4 times before we left. He was stressing Lola out soooo bad!

When it came time to crate her...he took the top off of the crate....
THEN...he tried to step her up to put her in the bottom..then was going to like build the crate around her! We said NO FLIPPING WAY! So...as he was still trying to step her up..she was biting and became attached to his shirt and was climbing all over him. NOT COOL! Biting..so we had him go BACK to the step stool and place her back on there. Then Jen and I toweled her in a joint effort to get her crated. Took all of 30 seconds..NO big deal for us..we do this regularly/.... The BIRD WHISPERER DUDE....OMG what a dumb dumb dumby head! To say it nicely!

Lolas cage was in a spare bedroom. The woman who owned her I dont think could really touch her, they did not know how to read the signs.
As we tried to give advice on the TAG....the guy didnt even listen! I am waiting for Jen to get the call...I gotta take a grey. I will laugh. That guy...WOW needs some bird education! He needs to join AA! hahahah.

She is here now, and she does NOT hate women. She loves me. Regurgitated for me yesterday. She hates when I leave the room..I say Buh Bye and she says ..HEY WAIT! hahahaha. She is just a cutie. Not aggressive at all, she is very unsure of herself and her biting is out of fear not aggression.
Lola has NO IDEA how to eat fruits or veggies..I have to eat it with her...I better get used to brown rice and mixed veggies. hahha. She will also not play or shred paper unless I do first. So..yes I put paper in my mouth and tore it us. It is a long road ahead before I can get the plucking under control and teach her to be a bird. She LOVES LOVES LOVES attention and is just adorable in every way. I am happy she is here with me and can be taught some manners and to get this plucking under control. Much longer an she would have been a bald 18 month old Macaw. She will get it with alot of time.
HERE..she spends all day out of cage. All of the Fids do. She is placed in my front room at the moment and she needs a bath BADLY! I dont think shes ever had one. She stinks.

Ok thats her story....I did leave out some of my opinions of people due to it being an open forum that anyone can visit and read. But this is about what happened.

THANK YOU Jen for helping in everything. Dinner was hilarious..."frenched fries" and TOY STORE! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:omg:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am just weeping..i am so glad you rescued her and hopefully the grey will go next....that poor Lola...shes probably so happy she is probably thinking to herself..wow humans that are smart..i didnt know there was any such thing..lol

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Lola was purchased 4 months ago from a Pet Supplies Plus (the sticker is still on the cage) by a Boyfriend and girlfriend. The woman is in college and her first bird was a cockatiel. They purchased Lola and a Timneh African grey close together. The Timneh also has some behavioral issues (biting) and the couple just could not dedicate time to Lola.
Lola was sold as a plucker also. She started plucking in the stores as she was moved from store to store until finally she was a "clearance" bird. The couple had no idea on the needs of a Macaw (as they only had a cockatiel). They tried theyre best to provide time for her but the lack of time they could spend with her affected her behaviors and the woman was disliked as she claimed it. The guy....thought he was like a bird whisperer..NO EXPERIENCE with birds...He was doing everything wrong! We witnessed him be severely bitten by her 3-4 times before we stepped in and said..THATS ENOUGH! Obviously you have no idea what you are doing...The body language...OMG he was bleeding everywhere. As Jen and I stood there in shock he was taking so much punishment......

The woman you could tell was frightened of Lola, she was sad to see her go but it really was for the best. Even on the step stool she was ripping out her feathers there and had more bald spots before we could get her.
The guy...OH I could write a book on THOSE type of people....Jen and I had to stop him 3-4 times before we left. He was stressing Lola out soooo bad!

When it came time to crate her...he took the top off of the crate....
THEN...he tried to step her up to put her in the bottom..then was going to like build the crate around her! We said NO FLIPPING WAY! So...as he was still trying to step her up..she was biting and became attached to his shirt and was climbing all over him. NOT COOL! Biting..so we had him go BACK to the step stool and place her back on there. Then Jen and I toweled her in a joint effort to get her crated. Took all of 30 seconds..NO big deal for us..we do this regularly/.... The BIRD WHISPERER DUDE....OMG what a dumb dumb dumby head! To say it nicely!

Lolas cage was in a spare bedroom. The woman who owned her I dont think could really touch her, they did not know how to read the signs.
As we tried to give advice on the TAG....the guy didnt even listen! I am waiting for Jen to get the call...I gotta take a grey. I will laugh. That guy...WOW needs some bird education! He needs to join AA! hahahah.

She is here now, and she does NOT hate women. She loves me. Regurgitated for me yesterday. She hates when I leave the room..I say Buh Bye and she says ..HEY WAIT! hahahaha. She is just a cutie. Not aggressive at all, she is very unsure of herself and her biting is out of fear not aggression.
Lola has NO IDEA how to eat fruits or veggies..I have to eat it with her...I better get used to brown rice and mixed veggies. hahha. She will also not play or shred paper unless I do first. So..yes I put paper in my mouth and tore it us. It is a long road ahead before I can get the plucking under control and teach her to be a bird. She LOVES LOVES LOVES attention and is just adorable in every way. I am happy she is here with me and can be taught some manners and to get this plucking under control. Much longer an she would have been a bald 18 month old Macaw. She will get it with alot of time.
HERE..she spends all day out of cage. All of the Fids do. She is placed in my front room at the moment and she needs a bath BADLY! I dont think shes ever had one. She stinks.

Ok thats her story....I did leave out some of my opinions of people due to it being an open forum that anyone can visit and read. But this is about what happened.

THANK YOU Jen for helping in everything. Dinner was hilarious..."frenched fries" and TOY STORE! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:omg:
I am so glad you have Lola. It is really frustrating watching people who are not skilled with animals frighten, push over threshold and terrorize animals. I have a dog training/behavior consulting business and see this too. People who dont' know what they are doing mistreating and mishandling animals. The worst part is that he doesn't want to learn and still has the poor grey. I hope that they do call you for that one. I'm so glad that Lola is with you.

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
See, now that is the story I knew was coming. ;) I am so glad you have Lola safe and sound in the nest where she belongs. You will open up a whole new world for this lil' fid, and she is going to heal and grow under your wonderful care. I will contact you soon and we can have the "PEOPLE SUCK" conversation. You and Jen are the best.:dance5:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

See, now that is the story I knew was coming. ;) I am so glad you have Lola safe and sound in the nest where she belongs. You will open up a whole new world for this lil' fid, and she is going to heal and grow under your wonderful care. I will contact you soon and we can have the "PEOPLE SUCK" conversation. You and Jen are the best.:dance5:

HAHHAH Oh you know theres more. Jen and I left and said....some profanities. Crazy people!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thanks for sharing her story! OMG :eek:
Good job getting her safe!!!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I am so glad you have Lola. It is really frustrating watching people who are not skilled with animals frighten, push over threshold and terrorize animals. I have a dog training/behavior consulting business and see this too. People who dont' know what they are doing mistreating and mishandling animals. The worst part is that he doesn't want to learn and still has the poor grey. I hope that they do call you for that one. I'm so glad that Lola is with you.

What bothers me the most is when people ask you for advice on things and then they argue the actual advice. If you know what the heck you are doing..DON'T WASTE MY TIME! Why do people do that? They ask for advice, I give the advice..then it gets argued about how "it wont work" or "i tried that ONCE" ...These birds need months sometimes years of repetitive training to "get it" sometimes. Doing the same things once or twice doesnt do it! I wanna SHAKE THEM! I just hate people sometimes.

So, the guy will continue to get bitten, and Jen will end up with a TAG. People suck!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for sharing I am glad you got her

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow. I never cease to be amazed at people getting large parrots and having no clue :sad8: I'm so glad you have her now :hug8:

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Omg that guy was dumb!!!!!!!! You said it Crystal, that was the craziest bird rescue I have ever done!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.