• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Arthritis

Sighqueen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Barbara Ryan
I recently took my 20 yr old grey to the vet because he was favoring one leg. Still could fly, walk, etc but I just noticed more weight bearing on one leg. Come to find out he has arthritis in the leg and foot. I was surprised since my grey is active and is out of his cage a lot. I had a thermal perch so I hooked that up for him. He just got his first dose of Meloxicam this morning (I wanted to know his blood work results before I started it). My question is there something that will help him without being medication? Hemp perhaps? Don’t know what’s safe to give him. I would appreciate some feedback on this issue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the severity of the arthritis. My Hahns had it at, and my Jardine's has it, both are pretty mild so we get by without medication. Things I do though:

- Heated perch (they both love(d) this!)
- Feed a calcium rich diet with Vitamin D3. Low calcium can contribute to muscle and bone issues
- offer lots of perch types, with an emphasis on big thick perches
- feed antiinflammatory foods/spices like ginger and turmeric, tart cherries

My Hahns really liked Senior Nutriberries, but my Jardine's doesn't. But they gave good stuff for arthritis in them :)

A good oil may help but definitely want to go with one that has a lot of Omega-3 vs Omega-6, as 6 will increase inflammation. Also, too many fats can also increase inflammation which can increase symptoms.

Last edited: