• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Arthritis in Cockatiel Foot / Leg

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I have a 10 year old male cockatiel who had a fall a year ago and injured his left foot. The guy who clipped his wings, clipped them too short. In any case - I took him to the vet and got pain meds for him - metacam. The vet said it was not a break, but a sprain.

The vet suspects that he could have developed arthritis after the injury. I've noticed that since then, he's not using his left foot as much as his right foot. He can put weight on it, and isn't really limping (maybe a very, very slight limp when he walks), but I noticed he does a lot of his pivoting movements off his right foot, whereas before it was his left. His left foot just looks a lot weaker and he is hesitant to use it as much weight on it as his right foot. I've made adjustments to his cage - wider perches, placed soft towels everywhere, raised the floor of his cage, etc.

Barring any tumors or any bizarre causes - if it is arthritis (which the vet suspects), is this progressive and will it likely get worse as he gets older?

And besides flaxseed oil and calcium supplements, and adjusting his perches and cage, is there anything else I can do for him?

I would really, really appreciate any insights and advice you may have. I love him and really want him to have the best life possible.

Thank you!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Never give any supplements without consulting your vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, arthritis is progressive. for sure don't give him calcium. The very best thing youcan do for your bird si tohave yourvet prescribe Metacam (or another NSAID) for his pain and give it to him regularly. There is no excuse for a bird to live with the kind of pain thar arthritis causes.

To my knowledge there is no supplement nor natural herb that helps with arthritis

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too think you should see a vet. We think my 32 year old tiel may have arthritis in his wings. The vet prescribed gabapentin. I also give him senior nutriberries and give him something called Healthy Bird which has turmeric and other natural anti inflammatories in it. I don't think the natural supplements can cure him but may help. I would ask your vet first before giving anything though.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Yes, arthritis is progressive. for sure don't give him calcium. The very best thing youcan do for your bird si tohave yourvet prescribe Metacam (or another NSAID) for his pain and give it to him regularly. There is no excuse for a bird to live with the kind of pain thar arthritis causes.

To my knowledge there is no supplement nor natural herb that helps with arthritis
Thanks for the reply. Why no calcium?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Arthritis includes an accumulation of excess calcium at the site, so you do not want to ad more calcium to their system.