• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Arthritic feet and sores

MrPink

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsea
Hi everyone.

My elderly bourkes parakeets has a foot deformity and is developing sore spots from walking on the sides of his feet. The vet wants me to use liquid bandage to build up a barrier on the sores.

Human liquid bandage seriously smells though and is full of chemicals. I'm wondering if anyone has used kericure liquid bandage for their birds? Does this look safe?

And does anyone have other ideas? We've also covered perches in foam and made things more cushioned.

Attachments

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Not an expert, but my thought is that if the choice is between something that's definitely not supposed to be ingested and something that's formulated with the understanding that the first thing the patient is going to do is start licking at it, then the latter's probably the better choice. The kericure website does include birds among the animals it's safe for. If possible, maybe spray it on a q-tip and then paint it on his foot? That way at least he's not breathing so much of it in.

Other than that, can your bird stand on a rope? For no particular reason except that that's how I set up their space, I have a rope that lies over a flat surface. Esmerelda seems to like standing on that. Maybe because the shape is comfortable under her feet but it has stability from the surface, unlike how a normal rope is wobbly.

Lastly, is something like a boot, like this, but probably have to be custom sewn, a possibility?

Good luck. Bourke-servitor solidarity fist-bump. :)

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if you or your vet can order some
Surgi Loc 2-OC. This is an 2-octyl cyanoacrylate glue, excellent for surgical incisions but it dries nicely flexible (unlike other “super glues” that dry hard and brittle) and it really shines as a skin barrier when used in applications like you need. I highly recommend it.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Good luck! :)

LarryBird

Meeting neighbors
Vendor
Real Name
Diana
Good luck with that. My Larry Bird cockatiel is a senior (23 yrs old) and has arthritis. I found that wrapping perches with vet tape has helped a lot. He was a little bit afraid of the vet tape at first, but then he realized how much he likes the cushiony perch! He also takes pain and anti-inflammatory medication.