• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Arthritic Cockatiel

Weesha

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jacqlynn
Hello all. I'm Jacqlynn. I have a ten year old cockatiel named Dolly who has arthritis and can't climb much anymore. I'm here looking for ideas to better accommodate her.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup:Welcome, Jacqlynn! I would lower everything thing on the cage so it’s close to the floor. Hopefully other members can help more.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!! I would try posting in the Toys and Cages thread - I’m sure someone has amazing ideas.

Actually another member just posted about their cockatiel turning 33 years old, and someone suggested a critter nation. They’re horizontal and have a large door, that might help.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I had an African gray with arthritis and we adapted his cage so he could easily get around. I used a lot of flat perches which I stair stepped so he could use them as stairs to get higher in his cage as well as perches that were wrapped in vet wrap. Additionally I removed the grate from the bottom and lined his cage with a heavy layer of paper towels (which meant I cleaned his cage several times a day) but it allowed him a lot of movement and was easy on his arthritic feet. I lowered his toys so he could play with them while standing on the ground.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something I've started doing for my 12-13 y/o cockatiel male rescue, other than making things easier for him to get to, is adding 1-2 tsp. of organic apple cider vinegar into his 10oz. bowl of water, it's said to help with arthritis.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can look for a flight cage which is longer instead of higher. Add some rope comfy feet and platform perches. Has she been to a vet for medication? I also like senior nutriberries as they have glucosamine and other supplements in it. I also give my senior tiel Healthy Bird from Christine's Chop Shop. It has turmeric, etc in it.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Codyyjohns

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cody
Hi! Welcome to the Ave :)
A Single Critter Nation would be great for your bird! All the bars are horizontal for easy climbing and the dimensions of a single unit are 36”x24”x24”

I keep my boys (cockatiels) in a triple tall currently with no separation so it is 36”x24”x72” of flight and play space :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!