• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Arrhythmia in Parrotlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilparrots4me

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Today during her annual wellness exam my 1.5 year old Parrotlet was found to have a "pretty pronounced" arrhythmia. It has never shown up on an exam before. It was recommended I try to change her diet (she's on seed with fresh veggies/fruit) and make sure she absolutely gets uninterrupted sleep. Has anyone dealt with this? I am so scared and upset, she is my baby.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have never heard of that before. Did the vet suggest what you should change her diet to?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That was one of the suspected causes that killed Alex the African Grey (Dr. Pepperberg)

What kind of arrhythmia is it? There is Sinus arrhythmia, Atrial arrhythmia and ventricular arrhythmia.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Wow. Scary. Is the bird's calcium level normal? I know the heart in humans uses calcium, potassium and sodium as the electrolytes which cause the heart to beat. And amazing the vet caught it; good vet. Yes dysrythmias are common in birds and unfortunately are suspected in a high number of 'unexplained' sudden deaths. I don't know how vets treat for it, but inhumans there are many drugs which can be used. I am so sorry to hear this. I hope things go well for the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.