• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Arrgh! Poor little budgie.

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well my children and I were sitting here tonight when a knock came to the door and there was a neighbour with a tiny budgie in her hands. Now I should point out that several weeks ago this neighbour mentioned to my daughter that her grandchild's budgie seemed sick. The symptoms she described seemed to us at the time to perhaps be heavy metal poisoning. All we said was it sounds very serious and the little budgie should be seen right away by a vet. Well they are fairly near neighbours but we don't really socialize so we didn't hear anymore about it. Tonight when the neighbour showed up she was requesting perhaps my son. who is a real softee, take the budgie as we know more about birds etc. I could not believe the poor condition of this bird my daughter was clasping it in her hands the poor things head was lolling loosely on it's neck and it could barely keep it's eyes open. I told my son over my dead body unless they at least know what is wrong and you can bring it in the back way totally away from our birds. So I asked the neighbour what the vet said and I received a blank stare. I said isn't this the bird you told us about weeks ago? Yes was the answer, and I said do you mean to tell me this bird has not yet seen the vet?!!! I was told no. I said well we care for our birds here and I am sorry I refuse to risk my babies lives. I said I have a vet fund but it is for mine and my children's birds and you need to take that bird to a vet! Now I feel terrible for the little bugger and so do the kids. I am so darn upset I really don't know what to do. To think anyone on this planet could let a bird suffer like that it is incredible to the entire family. I really do not know what to do ,there is no animal control or spca around here at all. We live in an unincorporated area and there just isn't anything. I just do not know what to do with that kind of cruelty or neglect. I don't even drive so I couldn't even take it somewhere for them. Also that family has five darn cars between them and they work, how can anyone be so neglectful! Thanks I just needed to vent somewhere people would understand. Mariannee

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:( so sad

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
I don't get people. If they don't want to pay for treatment, then fine, but take the poor thing to the vet and tell them either they take it or have it euthanized. It is horrible to let it suffer. What a sad life for that budgie. :(

:hug8:

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
Poor little baby. I completely agree. The least they could do is to just take it to a vet. Why have the budgie in the first place if you knew you won't be willing to take him to a vet if something went wrong?!:(

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I know I feel so badly about it all I have only managed 3 hours sleep all night. It's 339 in the a.m. and sleep just won't come for very long. I just don't understand how anyone can stand by and let the poor little mite suffer. I also couldn't risk my own flock's health. I just hope it finds peace soon poor baby.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
So sad...poor baby...I also hope it finds peace soon. And I hope that family does not bring another bird or other pet into their home.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Shame on those people. Hopefully this bird is no longer suffering. Your did right to think of your bird's health first.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
:cry3: :crycry: :cry3:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Poor baby deserves a better life than what he/she got :crycry2: :sad5: :sad7:I hope the baby finds peace soon and the suffering stops!

Hard as I'm sure it was for you and your kids you did the right thing for your birds :grouphug2:

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I really appreciate the support guys as I and the children do feel just awful. I know I did the right thing for my flock but seeing that poor little dear suffering so just about killed me. It really affected my 16 year old son, he no longer needs reminding to change Athos the lovebird's water several times a day. Athos is a real dipper and constantly fouls his water. I think he is worried that something bad could happen as he has never seen such a sick animal and just couldn't believe his eyes. I just hope they grabbed a brain and finally took The bird for care or euthanizing at the very least.