• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Argyle got a boo boo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I was hanging out in here in the bird room getting ready to post about Argyle's toenails. He needs a nail trim but he was doing so well with his training and handling that I didn't want to stress him out by having to restrain him and do this. I was going to see what people thought.

So, I am in here and someone makes a ruckus and he flies down to the ground and ends up with is foot stuck under a baby gate with the nail stuck under the trim of the door so I couldn't get it out. When I tried to help him he bit me so I had to get a towel and Rick had to take out the gate. So, I get him out and examine it. There is a tiny bit of blood, it looks like the nail came off, but not out. The black layer of toenail is gone and I think that just the quick is there. It's not bleeding but it's a pink/red nail now. While he was toweled I went ahead and clipped them all and now he is in his cage. It's not bleeding but it is sore for sure. He is holding it up but was able to move on it. He is resting now.

Darn it, I should have just clipped them, but I was trying to protect him. I am going to just watch it, but if it looks like it's still uncomfortable tomorrow, I am going to take him in. Have you guys heard of this before? Is there anything else I need to do for my boy? Please send healing vibes to my little Argie.:(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
poor Argyle that sounds like it hurt :hug8:

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Healing coming up! Poor Argyle.

i have never heard of it, but there is so much I do not know.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
poor Argyle that sounds like it hurt :hug8:
I know it hurt and I feel so badly for him. I just made him some warm mushy pellets, but he is up on his chill out perch and not looking very happy. To be honest, I am more concerned about our relationship than his toe.:(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Tango gets very upset with me when I do his nails. He will sit with me but will not let me touch him for about a week afterward. Jasper is a trouper and it doesnt seem to faze him at all. I hope Argyle doesn't take it out on you and gets over it quickly

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Tango gets very upset with me when I do his nails. He will sit with me but will not let me touch him for about a week afterward. Jasper is a trouper and it doesnt seem to faze him at all. I hope Argyle doesn't take it out on you and gets over it quickly

Me too. I have only had him for a couple of months and have been working on his fear of hands, he was doing GREAT, but I am sure we will regress now. I hope his foot will be ok. He is just really quietly sitting on his perch. Thankfully, I am home all day so I will be able to watch him. I hated scaring him like that when I had to get his foot out.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
awww little Argie :hug8::heart::heart:
how is he doing now?
I'm in the middle of doing nails this very minute too

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
awww little Argie :hug8::heart::heart:
how is he doing now?
I'm in the middle of doing nails this very minute too
I think he's upset:( He is sitting up on his perch with his little foot up. I'm sure it hurts. I hope someone can tell me if they have had this happen before. I had had tons of dog toenail issues/experiences but not bird ones. I think it will just be tender for a while. I made him some warm mushy pellets, but he isn't budging.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you just explain it to him quietly and tell him your sorry. Accidents happen to all of us and you did the best you could.

Ginger

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Poor Argyle and Poor You:hug8:I'm sure He will forgive You soon!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
He has moved to another perch, but still being careful about that foot. Oh, just turned around and he is down on the lower perch eating. That's a good sign, He is eating his bird bread so I am going to go give him some more of that.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Anatomically, bird nails are like dog nails. At least he tore the nail clean off, rather than leaving it halfway... because then it just get re-caught and hurts more every time until it DOES tear completely off. That is the quick that's left- the nail is like a sleeve that covers it normally, and I'm sure it hurts quite a bit, but it's not life-threatening. You might be surprised, often birds know that you were trying to help and scary things like this don't set you back as much as you would think.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Anatomically, bird nails are like dog nails. At least he tore the nail clean off, rather than leaving it halfway... because then it just get re-caught and hurts more every time until it DOES tear completely off. That is the quick that's left- the nail is like a sleeve that covers it normally, and I'm sure it hurts quite a bit, but it's not life-threatening. You might be surprised, often birds know that you were trying to help and scary things like this don't set you back as much as you would think.
Thank you. I thought it was probably better that it all came off too. He is actually playing right now with a toy and has been eating and moving around. I do think it's tender, and the toe is a little inflamed so I think that might be what is more painful. I think he will be fine though.

I really hope that he doesn't feel too upset with me and this does't set us back too much. That is what I was really afraid of:o:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Sending healing thoughts your way. I feel for him and know that it had to hurt as I also ripped off my own nail a few days ago!!

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I really think you guys will be just fine! Linnie's are resilient little fellows. (Did I spell that right?)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Argyle seems ok. He is eating, chattering and pottering around his cage. His toe is clearly still sore, but he is doing well:)

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
If his toe is still hurting him tomorrow but he is using it and there isn't any swelling you can take a baby tylenol cut it in half and crush half of it and put it in water. I had a budgie named Lewy who had some kind of leg tumor, I fostered him. I gave him half a baby tylenol in his water and he really perked up quite a bit. Clearly it helped quite a bit. Saddly a day after I started fostering him he had to be put down because his disease was only getting worse.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
If his toe is still hurting him tomorrow but he is using it and there isn't any swelling you can take a baby tylenol cut it in half and crush half of it and put it in water. I had a budgie named Lewy who had some kind of leg tumor, I fostered him. I gave him half a baby tylenol in his water and he really perked up quite a bit. Clearly it helped quite a bit. Saddly a day after I started fostering him he had to be put down because his disease was only getting worse.

A half of a baby tylenol huh? Ok, if he is still swollen tomorrow I will try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.