• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Argh; screaming lovie

Status
Not open for further replies.

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
Anyway I can stop him screaming?? i dont mind him singing, but as soon as he comes out the cage he starts screaming :eek: also these two days he has been screaming more than usual, how would I quieten him down without covering his cage??

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
I don't know where you are but....here we have a lot of wild lovebirds and when mine start up really bad, it's always because they are talking to a wild lovebird. Maybe yours is, too, since it's been worse the last 2 days? If not, this reminds me very much of a lovebird who has been allowed to be dominant. Dominant lovebirds are very noisy, it's like they're saying I'm the boss and you do what I want.

If that's the case, there are things that will help. Never reward such behavior, keep him off your head (maybe your shoulder's, too for awhile), clip the wings (people hate this but it can be VERY difficult to bring a lovebird to thinking you are dominant when he can fly all over, they can grow back out), reward good behavior, never get him out when he's screaming and put him back when he starts screaming....he'll learn that screaming is bad and he'll learn to start to please you and want to please you, too!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
All birds are vocal. This has nothing to do with domination or trying to show who's "the boss". Please define "screaming". I have 4 and none of them scream.

Ginger

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Mine call each other or me, but none of them scream. They also alert me to dangers such as the nasty phone or remote control LOL

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
All birds are vocal. This has nothing to do with domination or trying to show who's "the boss". Please define "screaming". I have 4 and none of them scream.

Ginger
well not sure how to define it without you listening to it. remember hes not tame yet so I cant just put him back in the cage and cover him. I live in london so there isnt any lovebirds around, just other types of birds, some to which he will respond.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If he's not tame he's probably scared out of his mind. You need to go very slow with him and earn his trust and love. It could take weeks or it could take months. Slow gentle movements, soft sweet words of encouragement and love. No chasing with your hands ever, (unless it's an emergency). Praise even the littlest act of friendship and ignore what you don't want to reinforce. Lots of treats.

He also could be calling for his clutch mates or the other birds he was around before he came home with you.

How old is he? Was he handfed? He could be asking for a comfort feeding.

Can you get a video of what he's doing?

Ginger

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
Birds do not just scream for no reason. The trick is to figure out "why" he's screaming so you know how to react.

These articles will help you understand the various calls they make and how to handle them.

Sam Foster. Vocalizations 1
Sam Foster. Vocalizations 2
Sam Foster. Vocalizations 3

Screaming 101
thanks for that :)

If he's not tame he's probably scared out of his mind. You need to go very slow with him and earn his trust and love. It could take weeks or it could take months. Slow gentle movements, soft sweet words of encouragement and love. No chasing with your hands ever, (unless it's an emergency). Praise even the littlest act of friendship and ignore what you don't want to reinforce. Lots of treats.

He also could be calling for his clutch mates or the other birds he was around before he came home with you.

How old is he? Was he handfed? He could be asking for a comfort feeding.

Can you get a video of what he's doing?

Ginger
hes not tame, but been in my hands for about 2 weeks now. he is used to me and I can get my hand near him nearly all of the time, but too close and he runs away. I have hand fed him millet from about 2 cm away before he decideds he doesnt like my hand, and he has actually bit it while i was holding the millet just to see what it is (once he worked out it was fleshy he slowly moved away :lol:)

he looks comfortable around me, just not so with my hands. currently hes been quiet for quite a while, but I'm more concerned about the screams he makes late in the morning (about 12pm ). a few days he was chirping away quietly around the morning and evening, but other days hes been screaming. I havent changed any variables in his surroundings or anything so i'm stumped on what it could be

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
hes not tame, but been in my hands for about 2 weeks now. he is used to me and I can get my hand near him nearly all of the time, but too close and he runs away.
That's where your wrong. 2 weeks is just the very beginning of him getting to know you. It will take much longer until he is truly comfortable and secure. Time and patience will be your best tools. There is no rush. Take your cues from the bird and move at his pace.

AZReno

Real Name
Lynn

Ginger
I have seen plenty of dominant lovebirds who screamed and it was very much a part of their dominant behavior and subsided as soon as the dominant behavior discouraged.

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
I'm with John on this.
There is always a reason why a bird screams and you will figure it out at some point.
My lovies do get loud at sunrise and sundown every day or when I turn of the lights at night for them to go to sleep.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Where is your lovie's cage placed?

Don't put the cage directly in front of a window. That can be dangerous on hot, sunny days (the bird will have nowhere to escape from the heat). It also can be upsetting to some birds: larger birds flying by, people walking by, shadows or lights from passing cars (day or night) can cause them to startle and react.

You might want to put your lovie's cage in a corner or against a wall. You can cover the sides and part of the top with a dark cover to create secure corners for him to hide in as he adjusts to his new home.

HTH!

Last edited:

iranair787

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ali
Where is your lovie's cage placed?

Don't put the cage directly in front of a window. That can be dangerous on hot, sunny days (the bird will have nowhere to escape from the heat). It also can be upsetting to some birds: larger birds flying by, people walking by, shadows or lights from passing cars (day or night) can cause them to startle and react.

You might want to put your lovie's cage in a corner or against a wall. You can cover the sides and part of the top with a dark cover to create secure corners for him to hide in as he adjusts to his new home.

HTH!
nah, my window is into my garden and my garden is into a closed backyard system (in london they are tight). only sounds would be the rare hand tool and sometimes planes flying over when they change the runways at heathrow, but other than that theres nothing to disturb him on that aspect.

regarding hot sunny days, I always leave the window open when hes in the cage and if i feel it to be too hot i either put him in the shade outside and supervise him or move him to my sitting room (depends on how much noise hes making)

Although i must say hes been a really good boy today; only chattering to himself, not much shouting (except when hes out the cage :lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.