• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Argh! Businesses keeping fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
I work as the fish guru for a local pet store..I've had many tanks, kept many fish. One of my all-time biggest pet peeves is overstocking or keeping too big fish in too small tanks...and some businesses are the WORST. Some setups are very nicely done and impress me, but overall I just want to scream. I was at a mall in CT today and was walking by this massage place, and they had an arowana (big fish..maybe 18-20"..potential of 3ft) in a tank that looked to be a 55g, only about 12" wide. I didn't take a good look, as it was all the way inside the business, but I could see the aro struggling to turn around in the tank, not to mention he was just under half the length of the tank. :( Poor guy.

There's a few chinese places here that do this too...one has a good sized tank, but no lights, no decor, and one little hanging filter on it with maybe 60 feeder goldfish sized goldfish in there. The next time I go in, they will be almost all gone, and then restocked again-obviously they don't keep them alive very long. And then there's the other place with very long but short tanks running through the middle of the booths-which is fine, except the fish can barely stay wet, they are too tall for the tank. Argh , it just leaves me with a bad taste for the business.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:( I agree:(

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Ah yes, the dreaded commercial tanks. When they keep 500 cichlids in a 55 gal tank and feed them once a day if they remember. Then if you mention something to them they act like you're from Mars. *sigh*

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how incredibly tragic that living things have to be treated t his way

Status
Not open for further replies.