• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Argghhh Goffin's

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So now Keno is tossing both of her food bowls. Found them yesterday on the bottom of the cage and since she has a grate she can't get to any food although she can pull up the paper even though the grate is positioned on the lowest slot.
I have some Fenix ceramic bowls but I don't know if they will fit in the bowl holders. Have to find them and then I'll try that. I doubt she can lift those out of the holders. If that doesn't work I will have to purchase some bowls that I can screw onto the cage bars. I have In & Out Crocks but those would probably be easy for her to lift up and toss, too.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I found this thread that has a few suggestions: Bolt on/screw on bowls

These seem to work well, but I have not personally tried them.

1622748405776.png

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I guess we're blessed our little girl doesn't have the mass and reach to quite get her food trays more than a fraction out of their rings or we'd be fighting the same :(

Not sure if it helps, but King's Cages sells a notched ring with a matching detented cup -- the detents in the cup will only drop into the ring when they align with the notches. Twist the cup 90°, and it won't lift out. I got a set with my Pac-o-bird, and the fit seems like it might work. It won't prevent Keno picking it like a lock then slinging it like a frisbee, but perhaps it'll slow him down enough to eat a bit first :shrug:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found this thread that has a few suggestions: Bolt on/screw on bowls

These seem to work well, but I have not personally tried them.

View attachment 384977
Thanks. I actually think that would freak her out. She gets scared of new things and that's why I'm a bit hesitant to put new bowls inside. Want to get her something similar looking to the bowls she has now or try the Fenix crocks which she had in her previous cage although that was several years ago.
Anyway found similar ones to the photo you posted:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess we're blessed our little girl doesn't have the mass and reach to quite get her food trays more than a fraction out of their rings or we'd be fighting the same :(

Not sure if it helps, but King's Cages sells a notched ring with a matching detented cup -- the detents in the cup will only drop into the ring when they align with the notches. Twist the cup 90°, and it won't lift out. I got a set with my Pac-o-bird, and the fit seems like it might work. It won't prevent Keno picking it like a lock then slinging it like a frisbee, but perhaps it'll slow him down enough to eat a bit first :shrug:
Do you have any issues with rust when it comes to the King's bowls?

Are these the ones?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The bad thing is that I can't attach the bowls to the feeder doors. The feeder doors are solid and have inserts where the bowl holders are placed.
I like being able to swing the doors out to remove the bowls. At least Keno is not cage aggressive so I don't have an issue putting my hands in her cage.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I don't have an issue with the bowls themselves, but the rings and backing will rust if left exposed to the elements. My king cage carrier comes with the same bowls Celltei uses, and they rusted after I left it on the patio for a couple months. I haven't seen any rust on the ones in the pack-o-bird's I have. My greys use stainless steel bowls with powder coated rings and backing plates so that might be an option.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have an issue with the bowls themselves, but the rings and backing will rust if left exposed to the elements. My king cage carrier comes with the same bowls Celltei uand they rusted after I left it on the patio for a couple months. I haven't seen any rust on the ones in the pack-o-bird's I have. My greys use stainless steel bowls with powder coated rings and backing plates so that might be an option.
Not good about the rust.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Hank was the #1 world champion bowl tosser. When finally found these and got them it solved the proble - he jus couldn't unscrew that long screw - although he had unscrewed shorter ones. The ones with nipples to hold the bowl down didn't work either. He was strong enough to just pull them past the nipples.

1622747346020.png

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Hank was the #1 world champion bowl tosser. When finally found these and got them it solved the proble - he jus couldn't unscrew that long screw - although he had unscrewed shorter ones. The ones with nipples to hold the bowl down didn't work either. He was strong enough to just pull them past the nipples.

View attachment 384982
Did you have any issues with rust?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The only rust on the ones I have had for several years is on the thread of the thing it is screwed onto - a bird cannot get to that part.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Too bad that part of it gets rusty. Perhaps a bird can't get to that part but I think Keno can't get to, take apart or detach things and then she does.
Unfortunately the Fenix bowls don't fit into the bowl holders.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I had a bowl dumper too, I made a temporary fix by placing a shorter perch so that the perch end topped the bowl.
The perch didn't allow the bowl to be raised more than an inch. Not enough to pop it out of the holder.
I could still swing the feeder door out.
My little Goffin did have to eat around the perch a bit though.
It never seemed to faze her though.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So now Keno is tossing both of her food bowls. Found them yesterday on the bottom of the cage and since she has a grate she can't get to any food although she can pull up the paper even though the grate is positioned on the lowest slot.
I have some Fenix ceramic bowls but I don't know if they will fit in the bowl holders. Have to find them and then I'll try that. I doubt she can lift those out of the holders. If that doesn't work I will have to purchase some bowls that I can screw onto the cage bars. I have In & Out Crocks but those would probably be easy for her to lift up and toss, too.
I am allowed to do the laughing emoji because I feel your pain. :). I have permanently removed one of Elvis's dishes, that was supposed to lock in, because it was nothing but a throw toy. And he too manages to pull his papers up through the grate.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is she scared of the foraging/feeder toys? Maybe that would occupy her so she doesn't throw them as much? (I am still working with Elvis on them. I know he's smart enough to do them but plastic toys scare him in his cage.)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she scared of the foraging/feeder toys? Maybe that would occupy her so she doesn't throw them as much? (I am still working with Elvis on them. I know he's smart enough to do them but plastic toys scare him in his cage.)
I've only tried one with her and she was scared at first and then sort of fooled with it. It didn't interest her that much. I have a few others I can try, though.

I am allowed to do the laughing emoji because I feel your pain. :). I have permanently removed one of Elvis's dishes, that was supposed to lock in, because it was nothing but a throw toy. And he too manages to pull his papers up through the grate.
You are allowed to laugh. What kind of bowl did you get that was supposed to lock in? Goffin's are incredibly mechanical as you already know. I thought I would get around Keno pulling the paper up by putting the tray on the lowest level but I think she uses her foot to reach down between the grate bars and pull it up. She likes to play with it and then throw pieces out of the cage or into her food bowls. I have been remiss and not replaced one of her wooden SN toys that is almost totally destroyed. Maybe that will distract her from pulling up the dishes but probably not.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've only tried one with her and she was scared at first and then sort of fooled with it. It didn't interest her that much. I have a few others I can try, though.

You are allowed to laugh. What kind of bowl did you get that was supposed to lock in? Goffin's are incredibly mechanical as you already know. I thought I would get around Keno pulling the paper up by putting the tray on the lowest level but I think she uses her foot to reach down between the grate bars and pull it up. She likes to play with it and then throw pieces out of the cage or into her food bowls. I have been remiss and not replaced one of her wooden SN toys that is almost totally destroyed. Maybe that will distract her from pulling up the dishes but probably not.
It was just one of the bowls that came with the cage that were supposed to lock in when the feeder door was closed. Elvis is beak grinding now like an angel. It's like he knows we're talking about how naughty he is and wants to prove me wrong. Lol. I think he pulls the paper through the grate with his foot too. And I wrote before about how I have to zip tie the grate in now because he pushes it and the tray out and climbs out the bottom. (Eye roll)