• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are you prepared for when you no longer can care for your fids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Doll made an excellent point onher thread here:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/2155-called-my-son-today.html

About printing things out for her son, to get him ready to take on Mango when her time comes. God forbid it anytime soon. Many many years to her and Mango to come!

But that had me start thinking! We never know when we are going to go. We all assume we're going to live forever (our personal demeaner says it all, many people just dont think about it). No one ever thinks about, what if I get killed today? In an accident,? Purposal? Who knows. We never know. Some will claim they know, which is good for them(shoot I'll claim I know when I will die and how, lol). But its never too late to get prepared, for when that time comes. Its never too late to be prepared.

In this thread, I would LOVE for everyone to share ideas on what their plans are. Sure relatives, son/daughter,etc, may take on your bird. But what have YOU done, to educate them? Are you expecting them to just "know", are you expecting them to understand? Word of mouth is always good, but leaving behind information is always best along with saying it to them vocally. Truly prepare!

Ive been printing out some stuff all morning.

Like:

Ginger's rewrite to Sally Blanchard's "12 secrets to raising an emotional stable cockatoo", which sounds important to someone who may be getting into cockatoos, and since I have 'toos, thats a great piece to have on hands. And it goes with many parrots too I think.

Im printing out diets, recipes, and pictrures of things I add/use in my recipes. Im adding links to the sites, and foods that I use. I adding holistic ideas of treating illnesses along with vet references and address/phone number, etc.

IM ADDING PRICES and what they should expect to pay!

I printed off, proper cage sizes, and why for the species I have.

All about foraging toys and items

Behavior, things, and bookmarked MANY pages in my behavioral books, and add those to my "work cited" page.

I took pics, and links to where to buy toys, and what my birds like, and etc.

God forbid I die before my birds, but if is to happen, I want my birds to have the BEST of care that anyone can give them.

What precautions, actions,etc, have you all taken? Please post them!

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Mercedez, this is a great thread - My oldest (adult son) has already agreed to care for my animals (birds and furry critters) should happen to both me and DH - but I had not thought of making a reference notebook with the things you have suggested

thanks again, this is going at the top of the to do list

Last edited:

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Yep! My daughter is already in training to take over when that time comes..she can handle each and every bird that owns us,clean cages,organize play areas..clip toe nails and towel a bird for meds if needed..she is a real bird girl like her mommy..we practice these things all the time,as I never know if I will become sick and end up in the hospital.
They have all been left to her in the will,and there is a trust fund set up that I deposit money into every month for vet bills and other exspences..

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Mercedez is right. Look how young she is but you never know what tomorrow might bring. I put a lot of time and money into making sure my children were taken care of; however I didn't think of the birds.

My car accident brought the problems of bird care into sharp focus. Right now, I cannot properly take care of them. Luckily, my injuries are relatively short-term and the local parrot society and The Teenagers are picking up the slack.

I have now made detailed arrangements but Mercedez has a great idea. I will start to put together a binder of information on how to meet their physical, mental, and emotional needs.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yeah Im going to be taking pictures of how I interact with my birds, and a hopefully some videos and put them onto some blank DVDs on how to handle them when they are aggressive, hormonal, etc. I want the best for my fids, the best I can give them in this life and when Im gone(lets Pray they go before me, I would'nt be able to stay dead if I knew my birds werent happy).:hehe:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
and there is a trust fund set up that I deposit money into every month for vet bills and other exspences..
What a GREAT Idea, I cant start doing that at the moment, but what an idea! I will definetly start doing that. I know Im young, but personally, I never plan on having kids, and if I had kids, I'd make sur ethey had something, when I was gone. So thats a great ideas Brides! :D

Passion4Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
Just as i would and have made provision for my human children in the event that something should happen to me....so i have done for my feathered children. My youngest daughter is a bird lover like her mom and has even handraised her own cockatiel. She knows so much about the care of birds etc, that she even did a school task about it and regularly gives out information at school. The school kids often ask her questions about how to handle their birds and foods..what to give and what not to give etc. She knows alot about giving meds and how to stop bleeding etc. She is only 9 years old. If anything should happen to me my birds will be in the capable hands of their human dad but if something should happen to both of us then they will be going to my daughter.....who by the way wants to be an Avian vet when she is older. My birdies all love her to bits and i couldnt ask for anyone better than her to look after them.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
ok some have it others dont you need to find some one that realy cares for your babies and is willinf the time to bond now that if you should live 100 yrs mor will in the mean time spend time till then bonding
it dosent have to be every day or week but must spend a day alone with your babies till the babies bond in some small way and from then on 1 day a month all alone holding that bond
glen came to help out with the ginner in be teeen he spent with mango glen disapeared mango started to scream then he flew to my front door my heart cryed bonding is compleet

M

M.C Bird Rescue

My son is 6 years old, and he will be trained in the care needed. He is already very involved in the care of the birds and assists in feeding, changing water, making bird bread. He will be taking the reigns when I pass on or grow too old to care for them. I think he will also follow up with rescue also. He knows and sees the condition of the animals brought here, I do not know if he is traumatized by any of it. I am just lucky he is very compassionate for all living creatures. I am a proud mom because of it.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
It is sad to think about but it's necessary.

I have loose plans I guess. My agreement with the rescue is that if anything should happen to me Fenway would go back. Keahi would remain with his favorite human.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I still live at home so my mom gets to see how I interact with Squeeky first hand. She also watches him for me on weekends when I go to Tony's. Squeeky loves my mom a lot too! If her and I were gone Squeeky would either go to his dad, my brother, or my niece and nephew. I know he would be safe with any of them.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
We haven't made arrangements yet. We are in 2 people's will though to get their birds. EEEK!!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
likewise our son Steve has promised to look after our five should there ever come the need.
should through circumstances etc Steve finds he has to make other arrangements then the SCA would find them good homes. Three of them are owned by them anyway and would step right in if he wanted them to.
Not a pleasant thought having to say goodbye to them one day, but that is the price we are willing to pay to have this wonderful blast with them while we can.:hug8:

T

TinaM

I'm taking them all with me.

*snickers*

Actually, they'll all go to my daughter. And, in the case I kill her for not cleaning her room and forgetting her homework before then... Geek gets them.

SURPRISE GEEK!

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
My parents and/or sister would take Kai. In the event they couldn't, Judy (Quest) would be next.. if Judy couldn't, Kai would be flying out to Chicago to see Joanna. :)

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
IF something happens to me I want my fids to all go to good homes. The parakeets I would like to be given to a family and Aros I would like to go to my boss.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I refuse to die. Not until I'm at least around 110 years old. We have a bet going. Who's going to last longer, me or them. Whoever goes first must come back to haunt the others. :D

We don't have any children so my birds are actually going to be pretty well off if we kick the bucket. :D

gayla

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gayla
Pita goes with Godmommie Bee (Moriana), and if for some reason she can't take him, he will go to The Gabriel Foundation as a sanctuary bird. They all know him, and love him, and I know he'll be happy and well cared for there, and have lots of friends.

It's in my will.....as soon as I make out a new will...lol

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
since my kids are young, and they help take care of the birds They know what has to be done and when and how it gets done.

but I am sure by the time that comes I won't have no where near as many birds as I have now. So it won't be as hard on them as it is on me at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.