• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are we making progress?

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Hi everyone, I’ll give you a bit of our background story. 6 days ago we brought home our first male budgie (22 weeks). He seems very sad and lonely. He let us touch him, step up sit on our shoulder but he was sad. He came from a breeder who handled them as babies but not so much as they got older. We decided to get him a brother from the same breeder. So 2 days ago (sat) we got another male. Straight away he perked up and become alive! Both loving each other, talking whistling kissing etc. However 1st budgie became less interested in us which I know can happen. Both budgies allow step up in the cage and DONT fly about crazy. We let them out daily and they fly and follow each other. We can get them to step up but they soon fly off. We use their seed bowl and they hop onto that and eat whilst holding them. Does this sound good so far? I’m getting disheartened but then remember it’s only been 1 week any advice to get them more tame?

Attachments

rose292

Meeting neighbors
I would suggest doing individual training with them because it helps build a really strong bond! Also just spending some time with them flying around a room with you in it should help. Good luck. Also you birds are SOOOOO CUTE!!

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
I would suggest doing individual training with them because it helps build a really strong bond! Also just spending some time with them flying around a room with you in it should help. Good luck. Also you birds are SOOOOO CUTE!!
Should I take 1 budgie into a different room at a time? They fly around a lot so used to us being about. Thankyou I love them so much already. Proper cuties x

rose292

Meeting neighbors
You can either take one into a different room or taking one out of the cage and leaving the other one in the cage. The last one might not work as well if one trys to get out/in the cage or if one gets really jelous.

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
You can either take one into a different room or taking one out of the cage and leaving the other one in the cage. The last one might not work as well if one trys to get out/in the cage or if one gets really jelous.
Thankyou I will try separate training tomorrow. Xxx

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
. Straight away he perked up and become alive!
This was your best decision - two budgies will thrive and considered a flock. Some people believe that the bond is effected when one gets a second bird. I do not believe that the human-bird bond is as important as a birds health and happiness.

I think you could train them sometimes together and sometimes not together. It just depends upon if your birds are receptive to learning at the time.

rose292

Meeting neighbors
This was your best decision - two budgies will thrive and considered a flock. Some people believe that the bond is effected when one gets a second bird. I do not believe that the human-bird bond is as important as a birds health and happiness.

I think you could train them sometimes together and sometimes not together. It just depends upon if your birds are receptive to learning at the time.
I agree but the human bond can be important to the human and that is a valid reason to want one!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
no not at all but a bird can also be very happy with a human bond and bird bond and a human might want one.
In no way can a human give a parrot the bond it desires - the kind of relationship where they can feed and be fed, preen and be preened, 24/7 companionship, someone to snuggle up to at night, someone to play with. Yes a budgie may seem happy with a one-on-one relationship with a human but it's an illusion. They are making the best of the situation. Give them another budgie and they will show you what a bond is really about.
To most of us it doesn't matter what the human wants, it's about what the budgie needs.

Last edited:

rose292

Meeting neighbors
Yes I agree a human can not replace a bird and that is not what I was saying at all. I was saying a bird can be happy with a human bond and a bird bond that are two very different things

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I had a male english budgie for 3 months by himself. He was very inactive, ate very little and showed no interest in toys. I decided to get another budgie from the same breeder. It was instant excitement and joy for him when the new bird entered the cage. People here knew them as Mickey and Murphy.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Perhaps, @rose292 , you mean That a bird can enjoy human contact alongside having a bird friend? But aren’t saying that they can thrive with just a human?

rose292

Meeting neighbors
Perhaps, @rose292 , you mean That a bird can enjoy human contact alongside having a bird friend? But aren’t saying that they can thrive with just a human?
I meant they can enjoy human contact alongside having a bird friend sorry if I put it in a confusing way. Not that they can thrive with just a human

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I meant they can enjoy human contact alongside having a bird friend sorry if I put it in a confusing way. Not that they can thrive with just a human
Phew! You can appreciate how relieved I am. I did misread your post, and with such strong feelings on the subject I just felt I had to respond.
Yes. A budgie can have a bond with their human whilst maintaining a bond with another budgie.