• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Two Female GW prone to fight?

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
Was thinking of getting my female GW a friend and wondering if needs to be male or will two females get along? thanks

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's hard to generalise - it's much like asking whether any two human individuals are going to get along. So much depends on their experience with other birds, age, hormones, space and how closely bonded their are to humans as well as sex.

It also depends on what you expect by "getting along". Do you mean that they'll be happy to preen each other and share space and toys? Do you mean that you can have them out at the same time and they're happy to be in the same room but not be on the same stand?

I've tagged a couple of people who have multiple macaws @Macawnutz @expressmailtome @aooratrix

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Getting a bird a friend can be problematic. In this situation, people often end up with birds that don't like each other. Obviously, there are exceptions. The best you can really hope for is tolerance. If they actually enjoy each other's company, you're blessed. My GW and Capri were thick as thieves. My BTM & hyacinth tolerated each other even though Simon wanted more. If you get another bird, get it because you want it. And expect jealousy: macaws can be emotional, mercurial, & petulant.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you get a male, you could have hormone issues down the road, and hormonal male GWs are no joke.