• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

are these stress bars?

flockof.4

Meeting neighbors
Hi again. I posted last night about my green cheek conure and sleeping on the bottom of her cage and sleeping a little more during the day but acting normal, otherwise. My mom and me were debating on if she was fine or not but still calling our vet to get his opinion.

I completely forgot about stress bars being a possibility. So, my question is, are these stress bars? She didn’t have markings on her on the day of her vet appointment in January from what I can tell. She’s always had black spots on her so I don’t know if it’s related to stress bars or if it’s from molting.

She eats higgins sunburst and vitaseed and has intune pellets in her bowl too that she doesn’t eat (and not sure how to get her to eat them)

The two pictures in the car are from after her vet appointment. The other two are from today.

Attachments

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That looks like bronzing, which is typically normal. It's really common in conures, mine has a lot of it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I agree, bronzing. It's a result of your bird rubbing her feathers against the bars of the cage or toys. Mine have it too in certain areas from how they play with toys that are more near the cage bars. As far as your bird spending time on the floor of the cage, some do like to sleep on the floor if the perches they have don't feel comfortable on the feet or that's just their preferred way to sleep with more of a flat surface to rest on. Even though you have a tent it may be where she wants to sleep. Three of my conures prefer to sleep on the bottom grate under their paper. I do paper changes late so it's clean for them. They prefer this over their sleep boxes. If she were fluffed up and staying there for extended periods during the day I would suspect more that she's not feeling well. Your food bowls are higher up though right?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Parrots can be finicky about food, so if she doesn't like the pellets you have for her, you can try something else. I know it gets pricey, but I think sample packs may be available. A lot of people will say that the best pellet is the pellet your bird will eat. Depending on where you live we can help with suggestions. Mine all eat Roudybush but they were weaned onto it.

flockof.4

Meeting neighbors
Yeah, all bowls are high up. Whenever she’s out, which is most of the day, she’s up on top of her cage. I could see with them being on something comfortable like paper-type stuff on the bottom but we use cat litter (wood/pine stuff) so I want to say that’s not as comfortable? Who knows, though. And for the bronzing, I never heard of that before today and it makes sense. She likes to put her back into the corner of the cage with her feet hanging on to the sides and it looks like she tries to flap her wings? She’s always been energetic so when somethings out of the norm (with all of them but especially her) I get concerned.

flockof.4

Meeting neighbors
The places we got all the birds from have them mainly seeds so I know they’d have to be weaned since a dramatic change can be a lot for them. Our vet recommended a separate bowl for pellets so she (and the others) have three bowls in their cages (food, water, and pellets). That’s how i know she’s not eating the pellets (that and she always has pellets in her other food bowl since the food comes with pellets). My mom prefers the pellets and food being the same brand but I know my other conure and my cockatiel like zupreem’s pellets over the intune. Callie doesn’t seem to like zupreem’s or the intune pellets so I’ll have to try and find samples of other pellets

flockof.4

Meeting neighbors
In my post about her being on the bottom, I mentioned that she’s been there a couple nights in a row when she’s usually sleeping in her tent/hut but she usually runs around on the bottom to get food she dropped since she’s always dropping food. She doesn’t usually eat the food since it’s the stuff she doesn’t like that she threw out.