• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these stress bars?

Raven234

Checking out the neighborhood
I had my little conure for about 3 months now and I started to notice his feathers are turning black in some areas. So I looked at pictures from when I first got him to now. I dont know if it's his diet or if he is stressed. I feed him pellets and fruits. H Snapchat-391708756.jpg e refuses to eat his veggies and sprouts.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
They look more like bronzing (damage to the edges of the feather). Stress bars usually occur within the length of the feather as it's developing, whereas bronzing is caused by damage to the edges of the feather.

Bronzing happens for a few different reasons. It can be due to normal wear and tear from activities - playing on their backs, rubbing up against cage bars and toys, etc. It can also be due to a bit of over-preening of some feathers. Poor feather structure can exacerbate these and make the bronzing occur more rapidly.

In all three of my birds, their first feathers were always a bit more ratty. Once they went through their first major molt with me, their feathers came out looking fine.

Have you taken your little guy to the vet? A vet can usually quickly determine whether this is normal wear and tear or if it's indicative of a nutritional or other problem.

Raven234

Checking out the neighborhood
They look more like bronzing (damage to the edges of the feather). Stress bars usually occur within the length of the feather as it's developing, whereas bronzing is caused by damage to the edges of the feather.

Bronzing happens for a few different reasons. It can be due to normal wear and tear from activities - playing on their backs, rubbing up against cage bars and toys, etc. It can also be due to a bit of over-preening of some feathers. Poor feather structure can exacerbate these and make the bronzing occur more rapidly.

In all three of my birds, their first feathers were always a bit more ratty. Once they went through their first major molt with me, their feathers came out looking fine.

Have you taken your little guy to the vet? A vet can usually quickly determine whether this is normal wear and tear or if it's indicative of a nutritional or other problem.
Thank you for responding. I have taken him to the vet and they are happy with his diet. They told me he is healthy but I am still concerned. Maybe I'm just being a birdie mom and worrying for nothing

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Looks like bronzing to me too. Kobe (Pionus) used to get that when I handled him too much. If you must handle him, make sure your hands are clean and free of handcream since oils on the hands can be responsible.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I agree that it looks like bronzing.