• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

are these safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I was given a box of Stick candles for if my power goes out over the winter, They were bought for me because the box says
this candle contains a LEAD-FREE wick
the brand is Hearthside says 10 Inch formal Candles

do you think it would be safe, only reason they would be burned is if the power goes out - Kids have to be able to find the way to the bathrooms LOL

We have flash lights to that seem to work all the time until we actually need them then either A) they stop working or B) they grew legs and walked away

and it never fails those same flash lights and didn't work during a power outage will work weeks later When we've DONE nothing to them (didn't change batteries , didn't beat the living crap out of it for not working etc)

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
The wicks are not really the problem- it's the paraffin in the candles that is the issue. Paraffin is made from petroleum and gives off some harmful products when it burns/melts - such as the stuff that creates the black soot you see when you burn a candle.

I would avoid using them as much as possible or make sure that the birds are in a different room/well ventilated area if you do have to use them.

A better alternative would be some soy-based wax candles or beeswax candles, but they can be expensive.

Patricia

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia Lippai
Have you ever tried beeswax candles 100% cotton wick and no additives to the wax♥

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I'll be honest I use candles occasionally but I do take precautions.
I would never lock my bird in a closet with 20 candles, but a few candles when your power goes out is not going to be a problem.
As long as the room with your birds in it is large and ventilated then you will be fine.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They make rechargeable flashlights that plug into the wall socket. They are always full and ready to use when the power goes out.

feebee

Jogging around the block
you can also get flash lights that you shake to make work, yes means you have to stand there shaking them, but i know they hold their charge for ages, oh and there also is wind up ones :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
you can also get flash lights that you shake to make work, yes means you have to stand there shaking them, but i know they hold their charge for ages, oh and there also is wind up ones :)

I had one of those shake up ones Before and man did it suck You couldn't see anything with it

but i never knew they made wind up ones i'll look for those kind

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
Candles are safe as long as you're not using them to an excess. For instance. my bird room is 12x15 ish and I burn one candle as far away from the birds as possible when I need one for one reason or another. Aros is totally fine, I just keep the door open and the fan on. Also keep in mind that I dont do this every day or even once a month... when you live in a house like this you must have at least one candle in every room otherwise you have way too many flash lights. They also sell emergency wall lights. They turn on only when the power goes out and you just plug them into the wall.

feebee

Jogging around the block

I had one of those shake up ones Before and man did it suck You couldn't see anything with it

but i never knew they made wind up ones i'll look for those kind
yea some of them are not to bright! but look around see what you can find :)

Status
Not open for further replies.