• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these quails

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

I got these birds from a person who said they are quails. I am confused because I never had quails before and a friend said you can mistake grey partridge babies for quails. Can someone please look at the pictures and say if these are quails or grey partridges

Best

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What type of quail were you told they were? They don't look like quail to me, but I've only ever owned Japanese Quail.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They don't look like quail or grey partridges.
They almost look like young pheasants though I am not an expert of pheasants. Golden Pheasants are pretty valuable for their colour but I think the males get all the attention.

This is a picture of a female:
OIP (5).jpg

For some more info maybe this site will help:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
They don't look like quail or grey partridges.
They almost look like young pheasants though I am not an expert of pheasants. Golden Pheasants are pretty valuable for their colour but I think the males get all the attention.

This is a picture of a female:
View attachment 347709

For some more info maybe this site will help:

I did look at pictures of grey partridge and didn't think they looked like them either.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think they're quail.....

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Whatever they are, they look young and probably do not have their adult coloring yet. Did he say what type of quail? They are not button quail, but could be one of the larger species of quail, grouse, or partridge. It will be hard to tell the exact type at this age.

I have raised Chukar Partridges in the past. Your birds look similar, but not identical to the baby chukars.

IMG_2557.JPG 20140501_120125.jpg

lovebird33

Meeting neighbors
Hi Destiny, I believe they look very similar to chukhar patridges based on the pictures you shared.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Yes, quail and partridge are very similar birds. The juvenile coloring is almost identical for some species

Here is a California quail with babies:

gathering-of-quail-chicks-with-dad-carol-groenen.jpg

Young birds tend to be brown to camouflage and they come into their adult plummage after a few months.

Personally, I think they might be young bobwhite quail. It is a common type of quail raised for meat, eggs, and hunting.

DSC_2137.jpg

But I am not an expert on quail types. It should be easier to tell what they are when they get a little older, assuming they are not yet showing their full adult colors.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I might just be the photos, but in the Original post the beaks looks a bit longer than quail. Which is why I was thinking a pheasant. I am not an expert at either. I just think the beak shape appears a bit different.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I might just be the photos, but in the Original post the beaks looks a bit longer than quail. Which is why I was thinking a pheasant. I am not an expert at either. I just think the beak shape appears a bit different.
This is what I was thinking too

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pheasant poults.

seven-week-old-young-pheasants-phasianus-colchicus-often-called-poults-which-have-just-been-re...jpg

Reactions: Ali