• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these pans bird-safe?

Tailfeathers

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Zach
These are the pans/set my friend that we will be moving in with this Fall has, -Link-
Amazon said:
  • Nonstick Ceramic coating is PTFE-Free, PFOA-Free, cadmium and lead free, Ceramic coating provide superior scratch resistant than traditional nonstick

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
As long as it is PFOA and PTFE free you should be fine.
Mer Boy is EXACTLY right. Please make sure and pay attention to the AND in his response. It MUST be PFOA and PTFE free. I absolutely love to cook and love nice things that last just about as much. I recently decided to upgrade some of my cookware upon purchasing an induction stove. We use a lot of enameled cast iron and full stainless steel but our go to daily use pans have been "non stick ceramic for awhile"

I have a set in Cuisinart green gourmet that we love and a set of J.A. Henckels that are thermalon (ceramic) that are good too but not as good as the Cuisinart (and cost more too.) Unfortunately neither are induction ready for the versions I had looked into scanpan ctx which are very very very very nice danish top of the line cooking utensils. Their webpage and amazon info states they are made from PFOA free Greentek titanium ceramic and can be used with metallic utensils. They also cost about $700 for a set on amazon and more at Williams Sonoma and have a crazy lifetime warranty. Unfortunately doing extensive research found that they contain PTFE (Teflon!!) and it is impregnated in the titanium/ceramic matrix to make it "inert." I am sorry but my babies are worth more to me than taking a chance on the matrix failing! Always go with PFOA AND PTFE FREE or walk away...

As for your pan selection, I have used them. They are OK but I gave them away. They did not hold heat well (Heats up very fast though), The ceramic coating stains and they were the poorest "non stick" of all the ceramic coated pans I have ever used. However, they did not warp or chip so they are better than others. Also, when I reviewed them I see that some people state the lines on the bottom of the pan scratched their glass top. I didn't have that issue with mine though.

If you want to spend a little more money, look into those Cuisinart green gourmet series. The non stainless set (not for induction) has been our work horses for several years. Over time they do chip a little on the rims and the non stick never goes away but the performance does drop off over time.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They look much like my green life pans.

I was having a terrible time using stainless steel when we brought the birds into our home. I would have gave anything to have my Teflon back. ;)

I found the green life pans and read reviews about them scratching after a few years use. I bought one pan to try them out and loved it! I bought the whole set a few months later. Honestly, the price was $79 for the whole set and that was well worth it to me even if I had to buy them every year. ;)

I've had them about two and they still look new. :)