• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these ok to give..??

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
Are these apricots ok to feed as a treat.? Also, for sprouting seeds...is this apple cider vinegar ok or does it have to be the bragg one.? Seems to be the one I see everyone use 510104011_0_1280x1280.jpg ZNG877.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Check the ingredients on your apricots- I personally will not feed dried fruit like that ever (not even to my large guys) as it is usually very high in sugars and has added preservatives (usually sulphur dioxide) that are often the sort that are best avoided by birds or people with sulphur sensitivities.

As for the apple cider- as long as it has "the mother" in it then it is fine. I do not use braggs- I cant even say I have ever seen it where I live. The bottle you show seems to have the mother in it so should be fine. You sprout in water not ACV though- many here use the ACV to soak the sprouts in for a few minutes before serving them.

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
Thank you. Will not give the apricots then. The videos I watched on how to sprout. Most people would add a spoonful of acv when doing the soaking process then rinse a few times after.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thank you. Will not give the apricots then. The videos I watched on how to sprout. Most people would add a spoonful of acv when doing the soaking process then rinse a few times after.
The mother in vinegar contains bacteria and enzymes, possible some nutrients. It is good for making tonics that people drink as a health aid.
But if you are trying to use using vinegar as a disinfectant when sprouting or as an aide to soften the seed coat and perhaps increase sprouting (not really necessary for the type of seeds we sprout if bought from a good source) all you want is the acetic acid in the vinegar. This is much much much cheaper if you buy the white vinegar.
Especially since you need to use more than just a splash...According to America's test kitchen use 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar as a produce rinse.

Another thing people use as an antibacterial is GSE, grapefruit seed extract. I avoid this as if it is not well rinsed it can kill good bacteria in the gut if eaten. Lots of opinions on this, just your own preference.

also NEVER sprout seeds that are not sold as sproiuting seeds. They are not cleaned and have bacteria. (in addition to parrot seed mixes being coated with vitamins which additionally muck things up) There are ways to clean if you must, using bleach or hydrogen peroxide, see google.

I would not want to add bacteria when starting the soaking process so I would not use the mother. All you want is the acetic acid to soften the seed coats, and I have never found this to be necessary in the sprouting seeds I have used for 8 years. I use a white vinegar solution at the end for a brief soak before rinse and serve.