• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these normal pinches?

Pixie2021

Checking out the neighborhood
My lovebird is 5 months old and from a few days on, he just can't stop chewing everything he gets a hold on. I try to offer him toys, and other things for him to chew, he plays with them for a bit and then here he goes for the skin again. I'm trying to teach him to be more "gentle", but I don't believe he really cares. That's was done in one morning, is this normal?.
The other thing was, a couple of days ago he bite me for the first time. I was rewarding him with some millet for some good behavior and when I removed the millet he lunged for my finger and bite me. Now I'm just giving him a seed at a time, poor thing.

I must say this is my first lovebird, I only had canaries before so.. everything is different.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you sure those are from nips? Looks more like a reaction.

If they are nips, You need to make changes now to avoid this getting any worse. Figure out when this is happening, and try to avoid those circumstances , like you did with the millet. If your bird does nip you, place him down on the nearest bird safe surface and ignore him for a minute or so. Repeat this as needed until he makes the connection that nips are not welcome. Do not cage him as punishment.
I have found that my young lovebirds usually did this nippyness when a few months old as they explore their beaks, but showing them by ignoring them, they learned it was not a good thing to do. And by ignoring, I mean as above, not to allow the biting and ignore them, that will only reinforce it as good behaviour.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree; they look like hives. I suggest consulting your doctor & meanwhile washing your skin each time it's nipped.

Pixie2021

Checking out the neighborhood
When he nips, sometimes its really smooth, soft, you can feel it's tongue exploring, others times he catches a bit of skin and it feels like a needle.
About ignoring him, should I remove myself from the room for a minute? Because if I stay there, he sure won't ignore me and will try to fly to me.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Looks like bumps I used to get when Loki tried to "clean my arm". I would avoid this behavior if that is the case. They itch like crazy! When he starts I would imediately distract him with something else.

Last edited: